Octopus recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rimp

Contributor
Reaction score
I currently have a Beauchat octopus. I had it serviced a few weeks ago, and on my dive yesterday it was free flowing after being in the water a while and getting to about 60 feet. Since its the backup I didn't notice it shooting the bubbles out until a good portion of my air was exhausted. This is very dangerous.

I'm thinking, I could take it back to the repair shop and have them fix it "again" or maybe just buy a new octopus.. one that WON'T free flow..

Do they make such an animal?

Can anyone recommend an octopus that won't cause me to run out of air unexpectedly?

Thanks.

I have had the same problem with my Oceanic oct. The LDS first thought it was the way I had it mounted. It was mounted in a slip-on plastic mouth piece cover. They said that mount caused a differential pressure while diving. Turned out the reg needed to be adjusted. 10 dives on the oct at the time. Now it has 20 and I'm not convinced that it doesn't still have a problem. I don't know about your model, but I am replacing mine.

At least it makes you pay close attention to your air supply. Once you get it figured out, you will have developed a good habit.

Surprised your buddy didn't notice the bubbles. One of the things a good buddy watches for.

I don't think brand of octo is as important as it being properly serviced and set up. Octo's are normally de-tuned to make them less likely to free flow. May also be a first stage problem (IP creep), not the octo at all.

I would have it detuned slightly, and also if I remember correctly this Apeks rip of has a venturi switch. Tell me it has been on the (-) setting the whole time..... Otherwise has it detuned. I think that the scumballs are the worst octoholders as then metigate determining the problem. I would use an elastic style one or soemthing that allows you to see the mouthpiece at all times. I agree with Groundhog in that it is not the brand, but the postioning, tuning and setting of the octo that will solve this problem.

I agree with kurt about the pony bottle but i dive a pony and an octo around my neck as an extra precausion(SP?)

John

I know that this may not be the best place to debate it, but evertime I see a guy with a pony that he never uses, and keeps it as 'reserve' I want to crack it on his head. I couldn't justify $500 CDN for the unit to sit there. If you are going to have it at least take it into account for your final ascent on your last dive. I think that a bungeed octo that is properly tuned is alot more sensible.

rescuediver009:
I know that this may not be the best place to debate it, but evertime I see a guy with a pony that he never uses, and keeps it as 'reserve' I want to crack it on his head. I couldn't justify $500 CDN for the unit to sit there. If you are going to have it at least take it into account for your final ascent on your last dive. I think that a bungeed octo that is properly tuned is alot more sensible.

I could see using the pony on the last dive if desired. But if you are using a pony with its own 1st stage, a single second and a short (7inch) pressure gauge you do not need an octo on your primary cylinder.

Why?

Having an octo on your primary cylinder adds multiple failure points to a gear configuration that does not need it. If a problem arises with your primary system, switch to the pony and bailout on the dive.

An Octo realy only assists with two problems.

1. Provides your out of gas dive buddy with a free second stage. (if he had his own pony, he would not need your gas)

2. If your primary regulator fails, it provides you with an extra second stage for a minute until your out of gas.

Here are some interesting numbers for those who use an Octo and trust that there buddy will always be there.

Blow a low pressure hose while underwater and your cylinder will be empty in less than 80 seconds. (3000 to zero in 83 seconds)

Blow a burst disk underwater and your cylinder will be empty in less than 70 seconds. (3000 to Zero in 72 seconds)

Free flow second stage regulator will empty your cylinder from 90 to 200 seconds / 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 minutes.

I hope you can find your buddy and get to him in time or its going to be a fast ride to the surface.

rescuediver009:

Go ahead and crack me over the head then. The pony bottle is NOT part of your gas management planning (according to my training). It's there as an emergency reserve, for when it's hit the fan.
Do you feel the same about the guy who never put his spare tire on his car? My wife and I have $250 each PFD's that we've never inflated (other than periodic manual inflate to test for leaks) and $400 worth of flares we've never used. I realy hope that we never do need to use either, but that doesn't stop me from carrying them.

BTW: In general, I only carry the pony on deeper dives (greater than 50 feet).

I purchased this Beauchat reg in 1990. It doesn't have any external adjustments on it. I called the repair depot and they told me to bring it in for an "on the spot" adjustment, whatever that is. I guess they de-tune it?

The pony bottle idea is interesting, but I'm wondering if it's really practical? Does it really only provide 1 minute of air? Thats not even enough time to get to the surface safely is it? Certainly not with a standard decomp stop. Also, how do you reach it on your tank? Suppose you grab it, pull it, then it slips and vanishes. thats the end of you unless your buddy is real close. Do you have it bungied to your tank perhaps?

I will try the de-tuning idea first I guess. Hopefully it won't continue to happen. I don't want to take my regs back in for servicing since it took them 4 weeks lasttime to service the silly things.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom