Octopus recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rescuediver009:
I have never heard of a reg that has failed closed. There is only one that will do it, which did you dive with? Firstly 60 ft, is not an unreasonable free ascent depth, but more importantly, all regs are designed to fail open.Anyone that knows anything about regs will tell you that. And if you are diving solo you are also following a different set of protocols..

upstream valves don't fail open

A freind 2 doors over had a reg stop delivering air last year. He had a rental tank and rust in the tank plugged up the 1st stage. Should not be an issue diving with your own well maintained tanks, but nothing is impossible, even a downstream reg failing closed.

I agree that solo diving (or deco diving) have their own set of protocols.

An update on this.

I finally managed to get into the dive shop to let them have a look at the Beauchat octopus. The fellow thought likely it was just a problem of the reg being flipped upside down once the freeflow started. If there is only air in the reg, and it's upside down, it will freeflow forever. The solution is to turn it back down. This (apparently) is normal for a regulator.

We tested this in a sink full of water with a tank connected and it would freeflow everytime if put in the water dry and upside down. How it would be dry when at 50 feet is a bit of a mystery, but perhaps I bumped the purge with my hand without noticing and that started the flow and also flipped it? Not sure.

Anyways, he didn't recommend I de-tune it just yet until I am very sure it's not already working correctly. It was noted I didn't have any problems with free flowing between the surface and 50 feet.

He sold me a mouthpiece cover that clips onto the BC. He thought this might help. The wierd thing is it does hold the reg in the upside down position, so I will have to see if it really does help with anything.

He will de-tune it if I still have problems after my next dive. I will be watching it like a hawk this time.

Has anyone used one of these slip in regulator covers? Do they help prevent freeflows?

Groundhog246:
A freind 2 doors over had a reg stop delivering air last year. He had a rental tank and rust in the tank plugged up the 1st stage. Should not be an issue diving with your own well maintained tanks, but nothing is impossible, even a downstream reg failing closed.

I agree that solo diving (or deco diving) have their own set of protocols.
This has nothing to do with the reliability of the regulator. But more upkeep of rental equipment.

RDP:
I have had the same problem with my Oceanic oct. The LDS first thought it was the way I had it mounted. It was mounted in a slip-on plastic mouth piece cover. They said that mount caused a differential pressure while diving. Turned out the reg needed to be adjusted. 10 dives on the oct at the time. Now it has 20 and I'm not convinced that it doesn't still have a problem. I don't know about your model, but I am replacing mine.

At least it makes you pay close attention to your air supply. Once you get it figured out, you will have developed a good habit.

I have had a similar problem with an octo in a "scumball" type holder.What happens is that the octo is held upside down,air inside the ball leaks out of the top where there is a wire clip,this lowers the pressure inside the ball and causes the reg to flow. The escaping air rises and expands and "sucks "more air out of the reg.

Best solution is to put the octo around your neck on a bungee.Sure,sometimes it freeflows when you first submerge,but it is really obvious. Just turn the reg over to stop it flowing. Once underwater it will be fine ,provided the reg is OK of course!

opiniongirl:
Poseidon.

But they do have a bleed off valve that does act similarly to downstream freeflow.
Incorporated into the second stage. I know. Like I said, not too common in rec circles.

Back
Top Bottom