Octopus, Lingcod and Mola! Oh My! Aboard the No Pressure: Phil's Reef 9.29.12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrankPro1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What an incredible morning spent at Phil's Reef!

Phil's Reef is an artificial reef system consisting of a concrete platform, several pylons and a boulder field. It is located off of Redondo Beach in 80ft of depth. Every time I'm invited to join Phil and Merry on one of their explorations I get to see new exciting locals populated with rare off shore critters. Today certainly stuck to that norm with my first Mola Mola encounter.
04.gif

Upon descent Merry led me over to two Octopus dens with several females guarding their eggs. The No Pressure duo has keenly documented their maturation over the last few weeks. We didn't catch the hatching explosion Walter Marti reported earlier in the week but just seeing them in the flesh was epic.
RedOctoWithEggsCroppedandSharpen.jpg

IMG_8019.jpg

OctoWithEggsandBrittleStars.jpg

Leaving the Octopus dens behind I swam back to the concrete platform. On my way there I found this Yellow Crab along one of the pylons.
Crab_1.jpg

As I reached the platform Phil showed me where the juvenile Wolf Eel had been. Though he had moved deep out of sight I was still able to find one interesting critter underneath the platform, this Ronquil. He was positioned underneath a small ledge, so the photos had to be cropped in post to fill the frame.
RonquilClose.jpg

Ronquil.jpg

Looking back south east off the platform I saw a distant boulder field. The field was teaming with life. Lots of fish were out and about, munching and going about their morning routine. It was here that I found a very photo-phobic Lingcod. I made sure to approach him slowly and indirectly, but no matter what I did, he would jump and swim away every time I closed in for a shot. With only a few minutes left of no-deco time, I had to settle with one half-way decent underexposed image. Next time I'm here I will make it a point to explore this area further.
LingcodSharpen.jpg

Well, I finally put my computer into deco. As I approached the anchor line I saw Phil and Merry taking shots of Mola Mola. I checked my air, saw that I had over 1400 psi and decided I could afford to spend some time documenting these surreal creatures "despite my NDL's zeroing out". My still shots came out pretty horrible, but here is a quick RAW vid of one individual being cleaned.
[video=youtube;37w9ElGrEyk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37w9ElGrEyk&list=UUHcOWPjU4Rn1tarSy754_jA& index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

Last edited:
I'm so glad you shot video. It's amazing encounters like that that make diving fun. Normally, Molas would flee the second you spot them, but while being cleaned they not only hang around but seem to seek you out.

I'm so glad you shot video. It's amazing encounters like that that make diving fun. Normally, Molas would flee the second you spot them, but while being cleaned they not only hang around but seem to seek you out.

My stills were complete backscatter rubbish. Video was the only viable way of documenting him :wink: I was really amazed that he let me approach so close. I didn't mean to get right on top of him but the slight current in the water column brought me in face to face.

Awesome photos man. I wish I could have been there. Love the Ronquil shots, never seen one before in person. Nor have I ever seen Mola in person. I am totally disappointed and frustrated that I couldn't make it. All I have been doing is studying for the past 11 days, and when Phil and Merry invited us out on the boat ( day 7 of 11 for me), it gave me a light at the end of the tunnel. Only thing was, there was a nasty flu at the end of the tunnel too. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Terrific photos, Frank. I'm so glad you had a good time, and that you saw some cool stuff for the first time. I'm sorry that Charlie was too ill to dive. Take heart, Charlie, there will be another day!

Thank you for the video - it's really the only medium that does justice to those fabulous fish. I'll never forget how close they came to us, how they lingered with the cleaner fish, and even approached us as though wondering if we were just very large cleaners!

I wish I could have been there.
Same here bud. When I saw your text coming in at 4am I knew something was up. You missed an epic one but Fall is here and uber conditions are right around the corner.

I'll never forget how close they came to us, how they lingered with the cleaner fish, and even approached us as though wondering if we were just very large cleaners!

I definitely came close enough to clean him. I was tempted to but didn't want to spook the little guy :wink:

I am envious of your excursion on the No Pressure. Sounds like a fantastic day. Very nice photos and video.

Back
Top Bottom