Octopus For Apeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wwunder

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm considering picking up a new apeks regulator and am wondering about the mechanics of an appropriate octopus...

Will the "overbalanced" first stage cause a normal octopus to free flow at depth? Is a pneumatically balanced octopus necessary?

Also, are all the apeks first stages overbalanced or just the atx200?

All the first stages with an environmental seal are also overbalanced. So, that would be the DST (tx+atx 40/50), the 100 and the 200 first stages.

Balanced octo is not necessary. However, I would recommend that you get a little better octo than most people usually do. This is life support equipment, and when you need to use it, its usually in a panic situation, and you will breathing hard (most likely). DO you really want a piece of crap octo on your rig for you to breath off of when you donate your primary??? I would think not. Now, if you pass the octo, then its your buddy that you are giving a lower quality reg to. IMO, I would go with something a little better for an octo...

FOr Instance, Aqualung LPO is a cheap octo. The Apeks AT-20 is better. So, tough decision to make...

I use the tx 50 , just remember that if you dive long hose that octoous is what you breath out of .

Yeah, right now i'm diving a scubapro set
(mk10, d400, g200b), but i'm finding the d400 a pain to keep tuned up the way I like and have been debating moving over to apeks.

I haven't decided whether to purchase a new apeks octopus, use the G200b or use a conshelf 22.

I just wasn't sure if the increasing interstage pressure would overcome the spring pressure on an unbalanced valve that is tuned for the IP on the surface. thereby making a balanced valve necessary to account for that increased IP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom