octo neck bungee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laserdoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
where do I find a bungee cord that is small enough to make this neck holder and what does everyone use to attach the octo to this.
Thanks
Dave

You can go to almost any hardware store. I got mine for an orchard supply hardware. Get an 18 inch piece of bungee. Get thick enough to be strong and sturdy, but thin enough to not be a liability. Mine might be 1/8 inch thick.

Use a strong zip tye. Cut the ziptie holding your mouthpiece to the reg, put a new one on, and string the bungee through there...make sure it is tight, and that it fits before you go anything.

Jorbar1551:
You can go to almost any hardware store. I got mine for an orchard supply hardware. Get an 18 inch piece of bungee. Get thick enough to be strong and sturdy, but thin enough to not be a liability. Mine might be 1/8 inch thick.

Use a strong zip tye. Cut the ziptie holding your mouthpiece to the reg, put a new one on, and string the bungee through there...make sure it is tight, and that it fits before you go anything.

You can also get the bungee a little longer, and tie two knots and use them as a slip. It will hold it very securely

hopeitsapar:
You can also get the bungee a little longer, and tie two knots and use them as a slip. It will hold it very securely

You want it to give way if somebody grabs it or it gets entangled.

I've used surgical tubing.

I'm currently using a 15 inch piece of 1/8 inch thick bungie that I got at walmart. I removed the zip tie holding the mouthpiece and added a new zip tie with each end of the bungie on either side of the octo. I can add a picture if you would like.

Hardware stores or marine stores should have it. 3/16" works nicely. I use a fisherman's knot.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisherman's_knot

I wrote it before but someone deleted my post.

you can find it in camping stores, its used to hang wet laundry to dry, very long, very cheap, very strong, I even found a flouroscent yellow one.
with $3.50 bungee cord you can make about 10 of those.

Use 1/8" bungee line, available at most sporting goods stores in bulk. Last time I bought some it cost about .09/ft.
The way I tie them is with a bowline to form the loop, then an anchor bend to attach the other end to the loop. You want the loop tight enough to hold the octo, but not so tight that the octo can't be pulled through the loop-with the mouthpiece still attached. This alleviates the problem of different buddies not knowing how the whole setup works. You have the option of handing off your primary, then breathing from your octo, or your buddy grabbing your octo and it pulling free from the necklace.

I use surgical tubing zip tied to the mouthpiece. My LDS sells both surgical tubing (2 different diameters) and bungee. You can find surgical tubing at your local hospital.

JL

Dannobee:
Use 1/8" bungee line, available at most sporting goods stores in bulk. Last time I bought some it cost about .09/ft.
The way I tie them is with a bowline to form the loop, then an anchor bend to attach the other end to the loop. You want the loop tight enough to hold the octo, but not so tight that the octo can't be pulled through the loop-with the mouthpiece still attached. This alleviates the problem of different buddies not knowing how the whole setup works. You have the option of handing off your primary, then breathing from your octo, or your buddy grabbing your octo and it pulling free from the necklace.

The reason for the bungee on the secondary regulator is not to hand it out! It is for you to be able to find it when your buddy in distress grabs your primary from your mouth. Usually (in a technical rig) you have your primary reg on a 5-7 ft hose and your secondary in a 36-40in hose. The bungee is placed on your secondary (short hose) so that you can find it Not to hand it out! You are suposed to hand out your long hose. Personally (when I am at 200 fsw or more),I want him as far away from me as possible!

If you are diving recreational buy a octo holder and set it up inside the triagle!

T

Back
Top Bottom