Octo maintenance and use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Super

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

Being fairly new to diving, I have a simple question about octos and their maintenance. Since octos are basically backups, and rarely used, do you follow the same yearly maintenance schedule as you do with your primary regs? I know it's better to be safe than sorry, but if they are rarely used, do the o-rings break down as fast as a primary and need servicing like a primary reg?

Also, do you ever use your octo as your primary reg on an occasional dive just so it gets some use and you know for sure it's operating properly?

I'm working up the funds to buy my first set of regs and was just curious.

Thanks all....this board is awesome!!

Super:
... I have a simple question about octos and their maintenance. Since octos are basically backups, and rarely used, do you follow the same yearly maintenance schedule as you do with your primary regs? I know it's better to be safe than sorry, but if they are rarely used, do the o-rings break down as fast as a primary and need servicing like a primary reg?

Also, do you ever use your octo as your primary reg on an occasional dive just so it gets some use and you know for sure it's operating properly?

Yes, you follow the same annual maintenance schedule. When you take your regs in to be serviced, the shop will service your 1st stage and both 2nd stages as one 'regulator'. You don't need to specify that you want both 2nd stages maintained. The rubber parts in both 2nd stages degrade at the same rate of exposure to either ocean or air, so its a good idea to have them both serviced annually (although many divers do not, or do it every other year for example).

You should put your secondary second stage in your mouth and breath off it on every dive, to assure yourself that its working properly. Some divers believe that you and your buddy should practice an OOA drill at the beginning of each dive, simply to review the skills involved, ensure mutual familiarity with SOP, and ensure that no lights, gauges, goodie bags, cameras, or other gear items have inadvertantly trapped any regulator hoses. Obviously, your secondary second stage should be soaked and cleaned exactly as your primary second stage after each dive.

Finally, don't let your octopus dangle. Small shells, grit, or debris can get into the reg either under the mushroom or into your diaphragm there and can, when you inhale on it, be propelled into your throat (or clog the regulator). Many divers find that bungeeing your secondary around your neck is one way of ensuring that you know where it is at all times. If you choose not to, at least secure your octopus so that you'll be able to access it instantly.

Regards,

Doc

Thanks Doc for the information. Thought that was the practice but never really heard too much discussion on it. Really appreciate all the help you and others offer on this board. Some times I don't think people realize how much their contribution means to those new to diving. Thanks again and keep up the good work!

I'd argue that an octo potentially needs more maintenece than the rest of the reg givne that they are little used and much abused by many divers.

Octos are always the most interesting stage to work on. I have some every year that come in with the exhaust valves virtually glued in place with silt/slime/salt etc and many that are very very dirty inside. More than a few are completely non-functional.

The condition of a diver's octo tells me a lot about the diver's maintenence and pre-dive check habits and is usually a pretty good predictor of the condition the rest of his/her regulator.

I never thought about it that way. Great point!! Another good insight I over looked. Thanks again for making this a great board.

I keep the regulator I can rely on the most as my octopus. The logic being that when I need it, I'm really going to need it and want to know that it will be ready and fully functional.

Yes, Much of what causes a reg to age depends on _time_ as much as the amount of usage. And even then you Octo _does_ see almost as much use as the primary. For example it has been in the saltwate as many times. The rubber o-rings fail do to time. The rubber just gets old. the demand valve remains closed onless you are actually inhaling air. The closed possition actually stresses the seat more than the open possition.

I find that my octo freeflows sometimes whereas the primary never does. I figure if is due to getting sand in it durring beach dives. Loads of stirred up sand in the surf zone. It gets into the octo but not the primary. I have to take the cover and diaphram off the octo a handfull of time per year, never had to do that to a primary.

Take the whole thing in regs, SPG first and second stages and so on every year or more if yu dive a lot. Also some regs have liftime warenty that is only good if you get anual service. Keep the receipts.

Yes every now and then I do breathe from the secondary regulator. Once a few months ago I had to. The mouthpeice cam off my primary. A wave ripped the
reg off leaving just the moulthpeice still in my mouth. I tried to clear it but not luck so I went for the purge and, wow no reg.

Super:
Hi All,

Being fairly new to diving, I have a simple question about octos and their maintenance. Since octos are basically backups, and rarely used, do you follow the same yearly maintenance schedule as you do with your primary regs? I know it's better to be safe than sorry, but if they are rarely used, do the o-rings break down as fast as a primary and need servicing like a primary reg?

Thanks all....this board is awesome!!

Back
Top Bottom