Octo hose length?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lsorenson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was in the lake diving Dry this past weekend and for the first time ever, I was using an Octo with a necklace…

I felt very constricted with the hoses and was concerned with the length of the Octo because it kept pulling and just did not feel right…! My first stage uses one High Pressure port for my Wisdom computer while the low pressure serves my Primary Reg, Octo, and Dry Suit.

I did a search and found some were saying their Octo was at @ 22” while mine is at 36” and while we’re at it; my Primary is at 32”. I know about the 5’ to 7’ recommendations for the Primary but my main concern is with the Octo for the moment.
With the Octo, can any or many of you validate the 22” which I would assume is straight over the shoulder or is it really more of a preference.

I am diving single 100-120 bp/w but that should not matter.

Thanks for any input, lee

The reason that it didn't feel right is because it't not right.

The idea behind the bungee'd reg is that you donate your primary (from your mouth, on a longer hose), then move to the backup (on a shorter hose) held under your chin with the bungee.

Having the longer hose regulator bungee'd under your chin kinda defeats the purpose :) Also, a longer (5-7') hose on your primary, if routed properly, can really make the difference in this configuration.

The reason that it didn't feel right is because it't not right.

The idea behind the bungee'd reg is that you donate your primary (from your mouth, on a longer hose), then move to the backup (on a shorter hose) held under your chin with the bungee.

Having the longer hose regulator bungee'd under your chin kinda defeats the purpose :) Also, a longer (5-7') hose on your primary, if routed properly, can really make the difference in this configuration.

Bingo!

Its a system, long hose, necklace/short octo, no snorkel and a little practice. Without all 4, it does not work so well.

As noted above it's an entire system.

It requires a 5', 6' or 7' long hose that you donate to an OOA diver and then a bungee necklaced back up that you use after you donate the primary.

A 5 foot primary hose is fine for most recreational divers and just routes down the right side of your back goes forward under your right arm, up across your chest around the left side of your neck around to the right side and then to your mouth.

A 6 foot hose may work better for larger divers and routes the same way.

A 7 foot hose is standard for most technical diving and the difference in routing is that rather than just going under your arm it goes down a bit farther and runs under a can light or alternatively the loop is secured in your waist belt if you don't have a can light along. If your recreational BC does not have a waistbelt that would work to tuck the hose in, then the 5' or 6' length makes more sense.

Also as noted above a 22" hose is common for the back up second stage.

The 22" for doubles and 24" for singles suggestion above is backwards for most divers. With a single the backup starts in the center and goes around the right side of the neck. With doubles, it starts 2-3" farther to the left on the left post post. Consequently, for most people, they will use a slightly longer hose in doubles than in singles.

Personally in backmount doubles I use a 22" hose with a 90 degree adapter and a 20" hose in singles. YMMV. You want just enough hose to let you turn your neck all the way to the left, but no more. That will allow ample movement but will prevent a loop of hose from extending out past your right shoulder.

properly done, the arrangement is very clean.

Snorkel use is not prohibited with a long hose and bungee back up for recreational diving, you just don't wear it on the mask where it can interfere with long hose deployment. Instead get one of the folding or roll up models and carry it in a pocket if you need one and either tuck it under the mask strap in use or use one with a quick connect to clip it to the mask.

I use a 22 with singles or doubles myself. And ditto the folding or roll up snorkel. I used to use the oceanic version of the folding. Have since gone to the Edge roll up. Both work, the Edge is less expensive and takes less space in a pocket though.

I use a 22inch with a right angle adapter for doubles and singles.

In OW I use a 40" "long" hose that goes under my right armpit and straight up into my mouth with a 90* adapter on it. Everything tucks in a lot better that way for me. The long hoses I think are a hair overkill unless you're in overhead, but to each his own.

Ditto the 40in primary with angle adapter and 22in bungee backup.

I never really refer to bungeed regs as octos since you never give those up.
Be sure to train with the system. You'll want to give your primary away and get to your bungee backup in the event of a OOA situation.

I think even a 5ft hose can be a hassle with non Bp/W BC's
My pockets and integrated weights creates a slight bulge that I don't think would go well with a long hose.

I like the idea of 40in on a 90 angle adapter because you can lay horizontal and have you primary come right over your shoulder and straight into your OOA diver's mouth. The OOA diver can lay horizontal as well and look you in the face with out any kinks in the hose. Now the both of you can ascend as individuals. Granted you don't get as much room to move with this set up (as you would a long hose), but if you want to take more control and ascent together as a unit, the 40in hose makes this easier as you don't have 5 feet of hose to contend with between the two of you.

For now with my current set up, it works for me.

I think even a 5ft hose can be a hassle with non Bp/W BC's
My pockets and integrated weights creates a slight bulge that I don't think would go well with a long hose.
Have you tried a long hose? (Snicker...everything is better in a BP/W :eyebrow:)

The challenge with an elbow is the hose can no longer be grabbed easily for donation purposes. Review how to donate a long hose and you will better understand what I am saying. Plus where does your bolt snap attach too? If you are not using a bolt snap, how do you keep your reg out of the sand or off the floor?

Back
Top Bottom