Octo hose length?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure a 90* adapter would be the best, but a 120* works pretty well for both donation and also tying a bolt snap to the hose for stowage. But Hose length, between 40" and 7', is a matter of personal preference as well as environmental conditions (overheads). Figuring out what works best takes time, and could possibly be expensive if you don't have divers willing to let you try their setups.

I tried a 5' hose first and it was very nice, but once I learned how to properly utilize the 7' hose I prefer it now. Both work well for air-sharing side by side, however, and I would take either configuration into an open-water situation but for overheads the 7' is the standard.

Peace,
Greg

Have you tried a long hose? (Snicker...everything is better in a BP/W :eyebrow:)

The challenge with an elbow is the hose can no longer be grabbed easily for donation purposes. Review how to donate a long hose and you will better understand what I am saying. Plus where does your bolt snap attach too? If you are not using a bolt snap, how do you keep your reg out of the sand or off the floor?

Nope but I've seen it in action personally and I like it. Have you tried an angle adapter on a 40in hose using a non-Bp/W?
I just don't think long hoses will work with my specific BC, a non Bp/W. My shoulder pads are thick and bulky, D-rings cannot be moved to customized positions, and my pockets bulge out far more than a Bp/W set up w/ integrated pockets.

Bolt snap attaches in the same spot as a long hose, right below the metal coupling of the hose itself. I've used bungee so I can turn the bolt snap to sit flush with the hose and again move it so it'll be perpendicular to the hose. It's also tight enough that it won't slid down the hose either.
And to be honest, not a lot of people use bolt snaps on regs.

When donating you simply grab your hose in a three finger stance and use your index finger to flip your reg to face your OOA diver while extending it to them. Not that difficult IMO.
When buddy breathing keep your bottom 2 fingers and thumb wrapped around the hose and your middle and index finger poised for any purging that's necessary. (different yes, but not complicated if you're practicing this way)

Last edited:
To all of those who have chimed in on this, Thanks... You have helped me and I trust others that may stumble across this thread... Again, thanks for taking the time!!!

The reason that it didn't feel right is because it't not right.

The idea behind the bungee'd reg is that you donate your primary (from your mouth, on a longer hose), then move to the backup (on a shorter hose) held under your chin with the bungee.

Having the longer hose regulator bungee'd under your chin kinda defeats the purpose :) Also, a longer (5-7') hose on your primary, if routed properly, can really make the difference in this configuration.

pfcAJ... Thanks and this is pretty much my mind set but since this was the first time I used a "bungee reg" I wanted to know from those in the know, there thoughts...

Yes, the backup is for me and I intend to extend my primary but in steps is fine with me... My bungee follows Peter Steinhoff method DIR-diver.com - Backup Reg Rigging but I did not see where the length to the 1st stage was mentioned. Since the backup reg was new to me, I just used the hose that came standard with it. 36" I felt was to long but I did want to test the waters by throwing it out to you guys...!

After I get the length down for the bungee reg, I will try and get a length that feels good for the primary. I will probably use a mock-up with some clear hose just to get a feel for the length...

Thanks again and thanks to all... lee

Nope but I've seen it in action personally and I like it. Have you tried an angle adapter on a 40in hose using a non-Bp/W?
I just don't think long hoses will work with my specific BC, a non Bp/W. My shoulder pads are thick and bulky, D-rings cannot be moved to customized positions, and my pockets bulge out far more than a Bp/W set up w/ integrated pockets.

Bolt snap attaches in the same spot as a long hose, right below the metal coupling of the hose itself. I've used bungee so I can turn the bolt snap to sit flush with the hose and again move it so it'll be perpendicular to the hose. It's also tight enough that it won't slid down the hose either.

When donating you simply grab your hose in a three finger stance and use your index finger to flip your reg to face your OOA diver while extending it to them. Not that difficult IMO.
When buddy breathing keep your bottom 2 fingers and thumb wrapped around the hose and your middle and index finger poised for any purging that's necessary. (different yes, but not complicated if you're practicing this way)

The long hose (6-7ft) will work with a jacket BC. I have both a BP/W and a XL weight integrated jacket. I tried a 5' hose first and that did not work well, I am just a bit too big. The longer ones work fine.

As for donating / using the long hose, I had the unexpected experience of using it for real once. Not true overhead (thick kelp), but the experience reinforced to me that even though I am not a cave / tech diver, the configuration is really nice to have.

When donating you simply grab your hose in a three finger stance and use your index finger to flip your reg to face your OOA diver while extending it to them

I'm having trouble picturing this... Are you saying you use your index finger to rotate the first stage 180 degrees on the hose, while holding the hose in the lower fingers/thumb grip you described, resulting in the reg being upside down?

To all of those who have chimed in on this, Thanks... You have helped me and I trust others that may stumble across this thread... Again, thanks for taking the time!!!

pfcAJ... Thanks and this is pretty much my mind set but since this was the first time I used a "bungee reg" I wanted to know from those in the know, there thoughts...

Yes, the backup is for me and I intend to extend my primary but in steps is fine with me... My bungee follows Peter Steinhoff method DIR-diver.com - Backup Reg Rigging but I did not see where the length to the 1st stage was mentioned. Since the backup reg was new to me, I just used the hose that came standard with it. 36" I felt was to long but I did want to test the waters by throwing it out to you guys...!

After I get the length down for the bungee reg, I will try and get a length that feels good for the primary. I will probably use a mock-up with some clear hose just to get a feel for the length...

Thanks again and thanks to all... lee

Sounds good. In the meantime, simply reversing your hoses (shorter one as your bungeed backup, longer one as your primary, routed under your arm) might work out. Certainly not a long term solution, and it might prove uncomfortable. With a 40ish inch hose, the 90 degree fitting (not a swivel) should help with comfort.

Ultimately, I prefer the 7ft hose over the 5ft, and 5ft over a 40ish inch hose.

Kinda of. I did try a 40" hose, without the elbow, back when I had an AIR II. Made it less than 20 dives before realizing something needed to change. Other than my regs and wrist computer everything did change. The 40" hose is now used on a stage bottle.
So why aren't you shopping for a used BP/W and selling you current setup to offset the cost? :eyebrow: Pockets should be on your drysuit, mount them directly to your wetsuit, or using X-shorts. For safety in diving California waters we really need to carry an SMB, and a loud whistle. Since I dive an unattended boat I carry a signal mirror and a Dive Alert too. The Nautilus Lifeline will find it's way onto my kit eventually.
Using cave line you can move the bolt snap around with some effort, but once in place it pretty much stays there. This means the bolt snap will always fall between the same fingers when performing an air share. The bolt snap is actually mounted a couple inches away from the metal fitting of the hose, and placed to fall between your fingers with your thick gloves on.
What? :confused: Everyone of my regular dive buddies uses a bolt snap near their reg :D Then again they all dive 7' long hoses.
We do it with our palm towards our face as we close a fist around the hose. Then donate by pushing reg towards OOA diver with our palm now facing their face. Works very well.
I can't say I have ever practiced that way :idk:

You are close...so when are you signing up for Fundies? :rofl3:

I'm having trouble picturing this... Are you saying you use your index finger to rotate the first stage 180 degrees on the hose, while holding the hose in the lower fingers/thumb grip you described, resulting in the reg being upside down?

The Reg sits on a 90 angle adapter, it rotates at the post connecting the hose and on the post connecting to the regulator. I rotate on the post connecting to the hose so you get the reg spinning horizontal and faces to your OOA diver right side up.

Normally the hose comes from my first stage, below my right arm, then up and left into my mouth (from my POV)

(Reg)==
..........|| <= rotate here
..........| (hose)
..........|

Peter C.
I'm selling my set up for a Bp/W as soon as I get a job and have the money. :D
Schools standing in the way of step 1 though. :shakehead:

As for donating air, without the angle adapter I do do the close fist around the hose. With the angle adapter though I found the 3 finger method to be easier when initially spinning the reg to face your OOA diver (assuming he/she is facing you). If I don't do this then all I'm doing is handing them the reg with the mouthpiece facing me.

Also I chose bungee because I was afraid I'd tie my cave line too tight around the hose. (can you say paranoid?)
Glad to know you can still rotate the bolt snap if done right.

Edit:
Basically I guess if a resort diver's gear and a DIR diver's gear had a baby, you'd get my gear. :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom