Octo for Apeks XL4?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdrell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, all.

I’m putting together a regulator rig, and I’ve chosen the Apeks XL4 for its size, weight, flexibility to dive in cold water, and great reviews of breathing performance.

I’m trying to decide on an octopus to go with it.

Obviously, the XL4 octo would be a solid choice, but I’m also looking at the Apeks Egress. It can also be used in cold water with a sealed first stage, which the XL4 has, and I like that it can be used upside down.

It doesn’t have a Venturi switch, but otherwise it seems pretty great.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

I can't think of any compelling difference between the two to help you make a choice. They are both good choices, so if you have a personal preference you are trying to talk yourself into, just go for it.

Thanks, I'm leaning toward the Egress for ease of air sharing. (My wife tends to run low sometimes...)

Can you tell me why you would prefer the XL4 octo?

the egress breathes better than some other of the puck style octos, but i find them in general to be not as well performing either from wob, bubble interference, or ease of use point of view.

I had an egress many years ago, breathed horribly compared to my "normal" primary. I promptly sold it and bought a matching backup. I now always use matching primary and backup second stages.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom