Octo Choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squash35

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Looking for an opinion here on one octo vs another one.

I recently purchased a 10 year old set of gear on EBay that appears to be in almost brand new condition. I have used rental gear to get my OWD and AOW over the course of last 10 months.

Here's what I got:
Seaquest Pro QD+ BCD (has integrated octo on LPI)
Sherwood SRB5700 1st stage
Sherwood Oasis 2nd stage

1st question - I'm not a fan of the integrated octo so looking to get a dedicated one. I know it's best to get same brand 2nd and octo for ease of service, but is there a technical reason I have to match manufacturer?

2nd question - assuming I don't have to match manufacturer...im looking for the best budget octo (mostly water above 50 degrees). Choosing between Cressi XS HX770098 (not the compact) and the Sherwood SR9952 Hi Viz yellow octo...which would you pick and why?

Thanks,
Josh

Last edited:
is there a technical reason I have to match manufacturer?
Not from the standpoint of function since most 2nds (except Poseidon) have similar ip (intermediate pressure) ranges but you might buy something your local shop is a dealer for so they have a trained tech plus can get parts. Easier to get both serviced at the same place/time.

I believe (but not sure) that the Oasis is one of the Sherwood models with a dry bleed system so don't worry if yours leaks a tiny stream of tiny bubbles - that's normal.

No technical reason but it sure can be more convenient for servicing to have all your stages be same brand.

Thanks guys...any opinions on Cressi XS HX770098 (not the compact) vs the Sherwood SR9952 Hi Viz ?

I don't have any experience with either but looking at both online two things I noticed.

On the Sherwood - which also matches your primary for service - they seem to be offering free parts for life. Which is not a huge advantage since the cost of a reg. service is the labor but it's something. Probably save you $15-20 or so. Not as important for you maybe since you get to pick your own service intervals since you're paying cash for them having bought your regs used.

The Cressi feature that stood out for me was the Pre-Dive switch - I'd leave it there all the time it will help to minimize free-flows when you jump in the water - if a reg is going to freeflow that's often the time it does. They also detune the regulator slightly to help minimize that also.
In any case, performance levels are high, although the calibration is regulated so that the inhalation effort is slightly greater than on the XS2, to prevent any free-flow possibility when it is used as a spare regulator.

I don't have a preference so I might go with the Sherwood so a Sherwood Dealer can service the whole thing.

Your questions have all been covered well however, you might also consider getting a better 2nd stage and using the one you have for a backup. If you are going with a used octo, see if your LDS has an old '80's era Sherwood second stage, it should be cheap and the ones I had then are still in service now.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom