Octo/Alternate - How/Where (do you keep yours?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Long hose/bungee backup eliminates the need for any of these:)

Just wondering how and/or where everybody keeps their octo/alternate...

Back when I first started diving we always kept it in the "safety triangle" (or some such name - in front, visible to anyone who may need it), but I never really found a good way to fix it to one spot yet still have it be breakaway. I used to have a soft rubber holder that the octo mouthpiece fit into, it worked fairly well - was just a bit of a hassle sometimes to get the thing in - are these still around?

We've been diving with combo alt/inflators (Sherwood Shadow Plus) for the last 15 years (my wife dives the same set-up as me), but since switching over to a BP/W I've determined that the Shadow Plus' hose is now a bit too long for our "H" wings and I don't like the way the knurled knob on the connector rubs the corrugated hose on the wing (so using a shorter hose isn't really an option even though the Shadow uses a 3/8" reg hose).

So, we decided to lose the combo inflators and instead added a couple of R295's to the kits. Any suggestions on what types of holders work and which don't? I don't dive a long hose, so no necklace. I figure we'll probably end up using some sort of holder with a clip or boltsnap to attach to a chest D-ring but figured I'd ask around and see what everyone else is using.

Thanks all,

Those soft rubber holders are still around. They are basically look like O==O. You put the thing around a D-ring, put one O through the other O and pull. Now there is one O attached to the D-ring and one O is free to fit the octo into.

There something like $3 to $5. A quick yank and the octo comes free.

Google "octo holder" and you can find all kinds of them from the basic I just described to ones with clips. Check out Innovative Scuba for some examples of fancier versions.

Right chest D ring. Have Oceanic slimline with magnetic holder. Works great! I miss it when I use my other reg setup. Then I clip on lower right side D ring with hose clip.

Has anyone tried the magnetic model? I like the fact that it offers a clean breakaway. I have to wonder what it would do to navigation though.

Pete

That solves the problem of where to put it - if buddy can't see it he can use his compass :)

Well - finally got around to "making" my new octo keeper(s). I was planning on using bungee and a bolt snap then hook to right chest D-ring, but my new R295 octos came with ScubaPro's breakaway keeper. I really like the mouthpiece plug that it has, but didn't like that it connects using a plastic clip, so I ended up cutting that part off and cl-ing it to a bolt snap.

Here are some pics:

One other "keeper" that I really like (besides the bungee necklace) is a snorkel keeper. Do a double loop around the d-ring, use the open end to stretch around the alternate mouthpiece. Easy to put on, easy to pull out, & CHEAP.

Have to say that the operators I've worked for mostly use the good old snorkel keeper. Rarely more than $2, when one loop breaks it can be turned around and tied to the D-ring. Seems like a majority of todays divers would call this a typical set-up.

P10100474.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom