Ocotal Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamieMc5280

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have been invited on a trip to Ocotal Beach,CR and want to dive while I am there. The villa we are staying at partners with Rocket Frog dive shop and despite the research I've done thus far, I cannot for the life of me determine where our dives will originate. Does the shop pick us up at the beach? Is another form of transportation provided to the dive shop and where the boats are? Before I book my dives and commit to this shop, I would love some input on the logistics and what I can expect. I will have a new diver with me who will be doing his open water dive to complete his certification, so knowing these logistics would be helpful for him as well. Thank you for any input/advice you can provide.

1648409238804.png

1648409541365.png

1648410032666.png

Sorry you took offense. I have been to and have dived in the area. I would rent a car, for a variety of reasons. Perhaps you would be surprised at how many people do no research of their own and then post on SB for answers. I was trying to help, sorry.

Have a great trip

We stayed at Los Almendros, but back then the shop was in Playa Ocotal as well. The boat would sometimes -- when it was on the way -- go to the next playa over and pick people up there too, so they certainly can. If your hotel is partnering with them, they likely will.

Note that there is (was) nothing in Playa Ocotal except one beach bar, nearest shops are in the next playa over, and you'll really need transportation if you want to get anywhere and/or anything.

El Ocotal resort used to have an excellent dive operation, if it’s no longer, it is a real loss. My wife did her certification there. Most shops there will pick you up at your hotel if it’s on the water. There are no docks or piers to my knowledge, they back the boat into the beach and you board in the surf. El Ocotal had a big dive boat and you boarded a small barge at the beach and ferried out to the boat on a mooring. You’ll definitely want to rent a car, Costa Rica has a pretty good bus system, but it probably won’t go where you want, when you want. Any land based activities are a pretty good drive from Plays del Coco, but are worth the trip. If you like wildlife, Palo Verde NP has boat trips on the river that are outstanding. Rincon De La Vieja NP has a bunch of fun stuff, our favorite was white water tubing.

my wife and I have been to Costa Rica 14 times and the last two times were as tour guides. If you’re interested in something like that pm me.

El Ocotal resort used to have an excellent dive operation, if it’s no longer, it is a real loss. My wife did her certification there. Most shops there will pick you up at your hotel if it’s on the water. There are no docks or piers to my knowledge, they back the boat into the beach and you board in the surf. El Ocotal had a big dive boat and you boarded a small barge at the beach and ferried out to the boat on a mooring. You’ll definitely want to rent a car, Costa Rica has a pretty good bus system, but it probably won’t go where you want, when you want. Any land based activities are a pretty good drive from Plays del Coco, but are worth the trip. If you like wildlife, Palo Verde NP has boat trips on the river that are outstanding. Rincon De La Vieja NP has a bunch of fun stuff, our favorite was white water tubing.

my wife and I have been to Costa Rica 14 times and the last two times were as tour guides. If you’re interested in something like that pm me.
My wife, daughter, and I used Ocotal Beach Resort and Ocotal Divers in 2006, both fantastic. Things change. We had a great time. Have not been back since, except to go to Cocos in 2017

Back
Top Bottom