Ochos Rios

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

silverfish

Reaction score
I will be spending a week at a resort in Ochos Rios, The Grand Plantation, in Sept. It's one of those all inclusive and it includes diving. Based on what I have read it includes two dives per day. It doesn't say they are two tank dives so I am guessing they probably aren't. It's a family vacation for my dad and my siblings all of which are well over 18. The good news is that the resort offers that mini dive class for resorts. I hope that means some of the other siblings will become waterheads in the longrun.I am concerned however that it also means that the two dives per day will include those divers at the lesser ability and will therefore severly limit this "highly skilled"ow cert diver,(Ha!)
Anyway , the question is does anyone know if that is the case? And if so is there a reputable, reasonably priced dive operator that I might want to contact for an opportunity to get some signifigant diving in?

While we're at it does anyone care to comment on diving in Jamaica in general?

Since I have only been in the airport in Jamaica, I checked my sources for you.
While everyone says Negril is the better diving of Jamaica, there is diving in Ocho Rios.
The Dive Operator of choice is Fantasea Divers. 809-974-5344
They say do dive the Wreck of the Katherine, a Canadian mine sweeper, 50 feet deep.
Also, "Top of the Mountain" is the 60 foot reef dive with orange sponges and bushy corals.
Have fun!

Thanks so much for the info!! Who knows how often I'll ever get the chance to go to Jamaica, maybe only once . I intend to make the most of it.

My girlfriend and I stay at a lot of Sandals resorts and they include diving. Sandals takes the certified divers (all abilities) out in the morning for a two-tank dive. The afternoon dive is a one-tank dive and is for non-certified or resort certified only divers and is limited to 30 fsw.

Works out pretty well for us since we have the rest of the day to relax, but doesn't work out well if you prefer to dive in the afternoon.

Sandals owns the resort we are going to...It is a "Beaches" resort. Sandals answer to family vacationing. When I checked into something in the Bahamas with Sandals, I was refered to Beaches because my dad is a widower, therefore didn't qualify for any of the Sandals resorts.

Thanks for the info, I feel better about the whole thing now. Sandals has a resort there and I am told we have cart blanche' at it also. Based on what you have told me diving should be good. I would assume the same basic rules apply . Morning dives suit me just fine, gives everybody else the chance to get woke up and I can get warmed up.

Thanks again.

The only thing I don't like about the all-inclusive diving was that you were lucky to get 2500 psi which made for some shorter dives than we would have liked.

It has been 7 years (eeegads!) since we spent a week in Jamaica. We stayed at a place called Franklyn d. Resort, about 20 minutes outside of Ocho Rios, in Runaway Bay. There was a really nice wall, and some okay coral formations. Not as many fish as we've seen in Bahamas, Cozumel, Fl Keys, but a pretty good variety. Our experience was similar in that the morning dives were for cert'ed divers only, 2 tanks -- but we got the full 3000 psi so the dives were long. Afternoons were 1 tankers and typically lots of resort certs. Morning seas were lots calmer and the diving was better.
The people in Jamaica are great, although the town of Ocho Rios was a bit on the seedy side. All in all, though, we felt very safe. We did find some great deals on jewelry there (gold and tanzanite). By the way, Dunn's River Falls is a must see.
Have a blast, and be sure to furnish a trip/dive report.
ScubaLeg
p.s. We're going to Negril this summer, staying at Beaches. Can't wait!!!::rainbow:

I think we are doing Sandals St. Lucia in August....counting the days...

My husband and I honeymooned in Jamaica in August of 2000.

We spent a week at Grand Lido San Souci in Ocho Rios, and a week at Grand Lido Negril.

Although my husband was certified in ’95, I received my certification right before our trip. Looking back now, I think Jamaica is a great place for beginners.

Our resort also offered the “resort divers course”. The new divers did a couple of open water dives before they were allowed to go out on the boat with other certified divers, so it wasn’t unbearable. However, even being a beginner myself, I felt limited. I received my advanced training while I was there, but the only dive I did below 60’ was a special trip just for me to do my deep dive in the advanced program. Back then we didn’t really care much about being limited – because I was a newbie myself. If we were to go back now – I might think about doing a few dives with a local dive op. However, if you just keep a laid back attitude about it – you will probably have just as much fun with all the newbies, flailing arms, legs, and all!

Before our trip we heard from several divers that Jamaica diving wasn’t any good. Not true! Sure its not Cozumel, but there are still some great sites. The wreck of the Kathryn is not far from San Souci. It’s a 140-ft ex-mine sweeper. We saw a couple of huge southern stingrays on a night dive by her. It’s a great place for a night dive, it sits in about 50 ft of water. I thought the diving in Ocho Rios was just as good as Negril.

We will definitely go back some day. San Souci is the most beautiful resort I have been to.

Have fun!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom