Oceanlog not saving data

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Codyjp

Contributor
Reaction score
After I download a dive I enter the site/location then save it. It doesn't save. As soon as a move to another dive it is lost and never to be found.

What gives? Is this software ever going to work properly?

You have to scroll and pick the dive site by clicking on that dive site with you mouse cursor.

If you try by typing the site name and then tabbing to the next item, it wont save.

Seriously I hate this software. It is only a matter of days until I switch to a sensus pro.

Oceanic clearly doesn't take their software seriously or it would actually be functional.

I constantly push the save button after everything I set or edit.

I wish there was a lock checkbox where I could "lock" an old dive so no more editing to it would be saved (unless unlocked). Sometimes for an unknown reason I end up editing an old dive when I thought I was putting in detials for a new dive mostly when I go back later and upload photos for the dive.

I wish Oceanic would improve the software or let it go open source so others could improve it for them. The computer is great --- the log software.... well not as good as I wish it to be.

I agree the software is junk but since it is the only option we Oceanic Computer users have, we have to work around it. But we also have to keep telling Oceanic what is wrong with it, so they an improve on it.

Hopefully the company will listen to our issues and make version 3.0 with fixes to all of these little annoying issues. And not come back with different issues in the upgrade that we have to figure out.

I agree the software is junk but since it is the only option we Oceanic Computer users have, we have to work around it. But we also have to keep telling Oceanic what is wrong with it, so they an improve on it.

Hopefully the company will listen to our issues and make version 3.0 with fixes to all of these little annoying issues. And not come back with different issues in the upgrade that we have to figure out.

I think their notable absence in any thread regarding the lacking issues with Oceanlog speaks volumes regarding their interest in making the software useful.

I think at this point it is more about warning future customers about the product they could be buying (the cord, and what it will get you). With toys like the sensus pro available I can't imagine why anybody would consider using Oceanlog for their logging software. Unfortunately I didn't know any better at the time.

I think their notable absence in any thread regarding the lacking issues with Oceanlog speaks volumes regarding their interest in making the software useful.

I think at this point it is more about warning future customers about the product they could be buying (the cord, and what it will get you). With toys like the sensus pro available I can't imagine why anybody would consider using Oceanlog for their logging software. Unfortunately I didn't know any better at the time.

When Oceanlog moved past version 2.2.1 it created and solved a number of issues.
A major problem it created was that the change of the locations fields were not completely compatable with earlier versions.
To deal with this change it is necessary to either dump your earlier logs redownload (if possiible) and enter all the fields completely over again.
Otherwise you need to edit all the fields of your existing logs to make them conform to the new layout. In the case of a large log this could be a overwhelming task.
Once you get the records complete and conforming to the new layout the database seems to stabilize.
The biggest shortcomming I find for users of Oceanlog is the lack of a users guide that explains how each field is used. Many of the fields can be directly typed into while others are pull down menus that you need to right click before adding a new selection to the field. Unfortunately those pull downs will allow you to type directly into them without saving the entry you just made. You must right click on the field and select add in those fields! This brings a popup to add a new selection to that field.
Many of the other problems seem to be users that just don't understand the use of the software. For instance a common misconseption is how the temperature fields are used. The minimum temperture is filled in when downloading from the PDC The surface and air tempertures are fields the user should manually fill in.
Don't get me wrong I've had my problems with and complaints about the software myself. The software could be much better but I have however seen the improvements and now consider the software to be highly functional. There is however a learning curve.
As for install problems ... Every software package ever made has some of these issues and many if not most of these issues are related to conflicts with other software. Manufacturers such as Oceanic can not be expected to test their software for conflicts with every other piece of software available. In the case
of new operating systems being released you should consider yourself lucky if the software works without needing an update. Just because you are a early adopter doesn't mean that every company can make the investment to change their software until the OS the software was originally intended for is obsolete. Many companies would take the opportunity to charge you for an update.

Best thing you can do with that Oceanic computer is to get rid of it. I hate to say this about them but I have had nothing but problems from the 3 that I have owned.

Best thing you can do with that Oceanic computer is to get rid of it. I hate to say this about them but I have had nothing but problems from the 3 that I have owned.

I disagree with the quality of the Oceanic computer. The software, sure, but my Pro Plus II does exactly what I want it to do every time I need it to work and has big numbers that I can see even if I accidently forget to bring my contacts to the dive site. My computer is user friendly and I have no regrets of this purchase.

Back
Top Bottom