Oceanlog not saving data

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think their notable absence in any thread regarding the lacking issues with Oceanlog speaks volumes regarding their interest in making the software useful.

I think at this point it is more about warning future customers about the product they could be buying (the cord, and what it will get you). With toys like the sensus pro available I can't imagine why anybody would consider using Oceanlog for their logging software. Unfortunately I didn't know any better at the time.

They were in Dema most of last week.

They were, but seem to be back in the saddle now. Mark Lane at Oceanic has been very helpful. The VT3 is great and OceanLog really isn't too bad compared to some software I've used in the past.. No complaints from me.

Good to hear that we all have problems with Oceanlog.... I always feel stupid when it didn't save what I just did. The software is certainly not great, but it does it's job. Mostly.

I certainly love my VT3. My short excursion to the UWATEC Smart Z ended after 1.1 dives, when I got the equivalent of a blue screen a few min into the dive at 25m.

They were in Dema most of last week.

So what is their excuse for producing crap software for the last 3 years? I wouldn't be so irritated by this if they didn't pretend it was for the $90 I spent for the stupid cable. For a price like that I'd expect more than "redo all my previous logs." Seriously, that must be a joke right?

I think their notable absence in any thread regarding the lacking issues with Oceanlog speaks volumes regarding their interest in making the software useful.

So what is their excuse for producing crap software for the last 3 years? I wouldn't be so irritated by this if they didn't pretend it was for the $90 I spent for the stupid cable. For a price like that I'd expect more than "redo all my previous logs." Seriously, that must be a joke right?

Codyjp I was commenting on you absence comment. Well people keep complaining about stupid stuff needing to be added, like emergency contact medical info, beginning life time dive gear bag. And since it's fix they don't need to comment.
PS
I glad they add my two things back to the software the certification list and the computer display.

So what do I need to do to get them to update the software so I can use my keyboard instead of the drop down menu to select a dive location.

I have no problem with them being at DEMA for a week. I'm wondering why they haven't been able to make their software work reasonable at any point during the last 3.5 years. The only point I'm trying to make is they seem to not have any interest in supporting their customers after they have paid for the download cable. If they would allow their data to go to freeware I'm sure a much better solution would be available.

So what do I need to do to get them to update the software so I can use my keyboard instead of the drop down menu to select a dive location.

I have no problem with them being at DEMA for a week. I'm wondering why they haven't been able to make their software work reasonable at any point during the last 3.5 years. The only point I'm trying to make is they seem to not have any interest in supporting their customers after they have paid for the download cable. If they would allow their data to go to freeware I'm sure a much better solution would be available.

Many of us that use Oceanlog like the dropdown menus and consider the software to be highly functional. It isn't very hard to right click on the field and hit add to type in another choice for the dropdown. For those of us that frequuent the same locations to dive it makes selecting the location fast and easy without redundant typing.
As for them supporting their customers....On functions of typing or dropdown fields you just can't please everyone. I for one have been pleased to see a number of improvements over the last 2.5 years. I called Oceanic with a problem that popped up in the printed output from the software and they started to address it in the next release. I even was given a beta to check if it was fixed to my satisfaction. While they were preparing for the release of the OC1 computer there was more than 6 months without an update but prior to that there were many. Check the revision history and you can see that quite a number of issues were addressed.
Oceanic is here on Scubaboard to be more responsive to their customers. This isn't a requirement of their warranty it is a extra measure they take. I can however understand that some customers are just complainers that don't even take the time to try and learn how to use software. They would rather just complain that it isn't the way they want it. Even though the software is functional and useful to the majority of users. Maybe those users just get ignored while people that find real issues like the printed output not displaying the right data in the correct fields are responded to quickly.

Back
Top Bottom