Oceanic White Tips - safety tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey NT,

Thanks for your post and PM. I read and responded to the latter first which may seem puzzling since you've answered all my questions here.

I love night dives with sharks. Madly I find it more relaxing than 'quiet' night dives. Not sure the same would apply with Oceanics or Tigers in the water. I thought I read that the night dives at Cocos were canned too - cos of the Tigers? Could be my imagination.

I trust no-one needed to use the metal rods??

No we did not see the tigers. The night dives were canned only by one boat. Aggressor was still doing them as well as Sea Hunter and Argo - as I understand it. I think there would have been a mutiny if our boat had not done, what I call, "the man dive." However, I believe the Aggressor trip reports said they did see a tiger on the Manuelita night dive.

Have you ever been to Socorro? There is one night where the Nautilus Explorer lets you snorkel with the silkies. It was pretty cool, but a little scary - especially when the people who didn't listen to the briefing started making sudden movements!

NTS. Never been to Socorro but checked out your flicks of there. Looks amazing as well. The Mantas were HUGE!!! (Mantas seem to not want to reveal themselves to me so I'm hoping I'll get lucky with an encounter like that at some point).

Advice very much taken about the gloves. Mine are currently teeny weeny, probably 1.5mm - what do you reckon for Cocos? 3mm? I don't like losing too much feel...

Cheers,
J

And Deco M, will make sure I only use corned beef :)

Mine are very thin because of the camera. My husband uses 2mm.

You're certainly NOT a sissy showing respect for this true apex-predator! Having dived 3 times in
the Red Sea,I've NEVER seen any Oceanic White tip's there,but plenty of ord. White Tip's!
The latter can be curious,but like most sharks of our own size or smaller,weary of our presence.
The very best advice I ever got concerning sharks was provided by the instructor I had in Cairns,
Australia in 1991:"DON'T PANIC,AND ASCEND SLOWLY"(IF You feel threatened.If You'd be spear-
fishing,You'd have reason for it!).No,but going to Egypt around June 1st,THAT'S worrysome(Hot)!

Thanks WWD. I have been following that news item closely.

Others may ridicule me but I today bought a .5m (2ft) PVC 1cm (1/2 inch) diameter rod for my trip. I'm quite aware they may forbid me diving with it (they are very strict in the red sea - rightly so - no knives, no gloves) but hopefully they'll be ok with it. On the hugely off-chance an OWT gets way too close it can discover the feeling of hard plastic rather than my hands.

Sod's law now dictates I will not see one all trip. I leave Wednesday so I'll know soon enough :)

J

Please let us know how it went when you return

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom