Oceanic Went Weird......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Al Mialkovsky

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My student is doing her final dive sunday when her recently rebuilt oceanic second stage went strange. She motioned that something was weird with it so we trade second stages and I take a nice breath. It breathes great. The second breath I got about 10% the air I wanted and when I inhaled really hard to breathed great again for about 3 breaths, then it went werid.

I've never heard of such a thing. Any ideas?

Unfortunately, this is a very vauge problem that could be anything depending on the reg. If it's CDX first stage it may not have the recall kit, if it is a servo assisted second stage (zeta or Omega) it may not be tuned right and it may have a high cracking pressure and then release because of the vacuum created on inhalation. But then again it could be somthing as simple as the tank not being turned on all the way...
My suggestion is just to take it to the place that serviced it. If you want to troubleshoot it for yourself, hook it up and see if it does it again. If it does see if both secodn stages do it, if they do it is a first stage problem, if they don't its a second stage problem...

Our shop doesn't carry this brand and it was serviced at a shop I respect. I spoke with the tech today and he hasn't seen the reg yet he will tear it down and see what's going on. Like me he's never heard of such a thing.

just weird

Al Mialkovsky:
My student is doing her final dive sunday when her recently rebuilt oceanic second stage went strange. She motioned that something was weird with it so we trade second stages and I take a nice breath. It breathes great. The second breath I got about 10% the air I wanted and when I inhaled really hard to breathed great again for about 3 breaths, then it went werid.

I've never heard of such a thing. Any ideas?

Sounds like the delivery system inside the first stage is sticking. The piston (if it has one) may need to be lubricated better.

Dear Al Mialkovsky,

I would definitely recommend have it serviced again at an Authorized Oceanic Service Center. As far trouble shooting, this is really odd. It sounds as though was an Omega II or an original Zeta, it would sound as though the housing has been damaged, and the valve assembly is able to rotate slightly inside the body. This would require the replacement of the housing.
I can offer you the service of returning the regulator to us, and I will insure it is “factory new” when it leaves here. Our turn-around is 3 days in-house, plus shipping. Just provide the proof of the recent service, and we’ll comp. the charges.

Thanks,
Ron Landess
Oceanic USA
Customer Service
2002 Davis St.
San Leandro, CA 94577
Toll Free: (800) 435-3483 x226
Phone: (510) 562-0500
Fax: (510) 569-5404
e-mail: rlandess@oceanicusa.com
Web Site: www.OceanicWorldWide.com
Mon-Fri 8am-5pm Pacific Time
Closed All Major Holidays

Thank you Ron. I just forwarded this information to the dive shop that did the recent repairs. I appreciate your imput and prompt attention to this matter.

my wife's zeta just did this. The first stage needed to be serviced. The bummer is I took it in this spring for service and they said they did it. The reg breathed hard and I brought it to a different shop and they took apart the first stage and it had NOT been serviced. New seals and a reset ambient pressure and all was well again.

The lack of service this year would have been OK, but it had not been serviced for 3 years because she did not dive while she was pregnant with my daughter or while my daughter was an infant, so she skipped 2 seasons.

Just so all know the reg was sent off to Oceanic and it was returned to the owner in "as new" condition. Our shop doesn't carry Oceanic as I said above a few weeks ago but their service is outstanding.

Back
Top Bottom