Oceanic VT PRO vs New Atom - Size and range

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

purduEE, I agree with you completely. And its not only $150 difference. Once you add in all the pc hookups and transmitters, right now I have a choice to make, I have a complete dive rig setup from my LDS, basically if I go with the vytec instead of the VT it'll cost $320 more! Don't ask me why but thats the way the math works out. I would however be a little hesitant to buy the Atom the minute it hits the shelves, I know they do testing of those little suckers but as with anything revolutionary in designs, there are always bugs and hiccups to be had at the beginning. I'm sure there will be considerable refinements in the first year after the atom's release. But I sure like the way it looks like a regular watch, not all flasy like the stinger (which IS coming out in a wireless version). I don't need my $1000 watch LOOKING like a $1000 watch in most of the places where diving is splendid. The other consideration between the VT and the Vytec are where they are made. Suunto is from Finland I believe and made by a company that specializes in rugged, user friendly, and uncompromising life support gear. I trust them with mountaineering gear and that is what leads me to want to go with them for diving as well, but the extra $320 in my pocket is a hard thing to say no to. But that VT is just so damn big and ugly! *well not as ugly as the uwatech*

funkyspelunker:
But that VT is just so damn big and ugly! *well not as ugly as the uwatech*

I've always hated the uwatec design. Nice to see someone who shares that feeling. Couldn't tell you what it is about it, I just don't like it.

I'll see if I can find some time to take pictures of my VT next to my Vytec. Unless I recall incorrectly, I think you'll find that they are pretty similar in size. Neither strikes me as particularly pretty... :)

Having used both the VT and the Suunto, they seemed to me the same size to me as well, big.

Funny to hear that you both think the Uwatek is ugly. I have alwyas thought it looked pretty egonimic, like it would be less intrusive on somone's arm. I've also heard criticism about the automatic adjustments it makes for cold water.

JAG

jagfish:
Having used both the VT and the Suunto, they seemed to me the same size to me as well, big.
Hey Jagfish. Since you like your VT Pro, perhaps you can tell me where to put my arm to keep the connection to the transmitter? I have 13 dives on this thing now and about 300 lost connection beeps.

James

James Goddard:
Hey Jagfish. Since you like your VT Pro, perhaps you can tell me where to put my arm to keep the connection to the transmitter? I have 13 dives on this thing now and about 300 lost connection beeps.

James

I keep the transmitter and the 'puter on the same side of my body (right HP port, right wrist). I have yet to lose a connection in the water. If you're diving with the transmitter and receiver on the same side and you're getting lots of lost connections, I'd change the battery in the transmitter. If that doesn't make a difference, I'd return it and get another - I haven't heard this as a common complaint against the VT Pro, making me believe that your particular 'puter may have a defect.

PurduEE:
I keep the transmitter and the 'puter on the same side of my body (right HP port, right wrist). I have yet to lose a connection in the water. If you're diving with the transmitter and receiver on the same side and you're getting lots of lost connections, I'd change the battery in the transmitter. If that doesn't make a difference, I'd return it and get another - I haven't heard this as a common complaint against the VT Pro, making me believe that your particular 'puter may have a defect.
Yes I keep them both on my right as well. If it is a defect then Oceanic is 0/2 on this computer. The first one always went into violation mode minutes after being turned on. I never got a single dive on it. This one is a direct replacement from the factory.

James

James Goddard:
Yes I keep them both on my right as well. If it is a defect then Oceanic is 0/2 on this computer. The first one always went into violation mode minutes after being turned on. I never got a single dive on it. This one is a direct replacement from the factory.

James

Ouch. Well, like they say, third time is the charm.. :)

EDIT: wow - 200 posts..

James Goddard:
Yes I keep them both on my right as well. If it is a defect then Oceanic is 0/2 on this computer.

Do you have a camera, or other electronics with you? Not that it's the same model, but my Oceanic DataTrans Plus can't hear it's transmitter if it's within a foot or so of my Olympus D-40 camera.

--Laird

lairdb:
Do you have a camera, or other electronics with you? Not that it's the same model, but my Oceanic DataTrans Plus can't hear it's transmitter if it's within a foot or so of my Olympus D-40 camera.
I had an Olympus Stylus strapped to the same wrist for all but 4 of the dives. I had the same problem on the dives without the camera. I've heard of strobes messing with transmitters before but when they go off, not just camera's in general.

At any rate, I can't fault Oceanic on their support. They are sending me a UPS label so I can send it back for replacment. Absolutly no hassles from them. Hopfully PurduEE is right and the 3rd times IS the charm...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom