Oceanic VT 4.1 setup questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravelDave

Contributor
Reaction score
Just got an Oceanic VT 4.1 (pretty much the same as the VT 4.0?). Not impressed with the manual. A few questions:

1) Is there anyway to test the connection with the transmitter (and the transmitter battery) prior to hooking it up to a tank?

2) The manual says that to install the transmitter to the regulator, I should lightly lubricate the o-ring and threads with a halocarbon based lubricant such as Christo-Lube MCG111. Are there alternatives to this lubricant that will work that are easily available? Seems like they should have included some with the transmitter.

Menu operation seems reasonably intuitive. Anything else I need to think about before taking this thing on a trip?

Appreciate any insights.

1) I believe the transmitter doesn't operate until it feels the pressure of air from an open valve.
2) I've never lubed mine ~170 dives. I haven't taken it off the first stage for awhile now. Maybe I need to check it.

You can add items to the main display screen during a dive. I added elapsed dive time. Make sure it turns on automatically when it gets wet. It won't connect to your desktop computer for data download if the connectors on the VT4.1 are still wet. Sometimes I have to use canned air if I'm in a hurry. Make sure the compass is calibrated before you try to use it underwater.

This all helped me. Hope it helps you. If you got yours at the "discontinued item" price of >$600 I think you got a good deal, based on my three years with mine.

1) I believe the transmitter doesn't operate until it feels the pressure of air from an open valve.
2) I've never lubed mine ~170 dives. I haven't taken it off the first stage for awhile now. Maybe I need to check it.

You can add items to the main display screen during a dive. I added elapsed dive time. Make sure it turns on automatically when it gets wet. It won't connect to your desktop computer for data download if the connectors on the VT4.1 are still wet. Sometimes I have to use canned air if I'm in a hurry. Make sure the compass is calibrated before you try to use it underwater.

This all helped me. Hope it helps you. If you got yours at the "discontinued item" price of >$600 I think you got a good deal, based on my three years with mine.

$475 at LeisurePro with transmitter and download cable. It I "needed" another computer... I'm still running my VT3 >5yrs/600 dives. I got my son a VT4.1 for $500 last summer

$475 at LeisurePro with transmitter and download cable. It I "needed" another computer... I'm still running my VT3 >5yrs/600 dives. I got my son a VT4.1 for $500 last summer

I bought it a LeisurePro when the price dropped to $550. The next day it was down to $475 so I called them and they gave me a $75 credit that doesn't expire. Really nice price for this computer with a transmitter (and I'll be happy to be done with my Suunto, which likes to nag at me).

I bought it a LeisurePro when the price dropped to $550. The next day it was down to $475 so I called them and they gave me a $75 credit that doesn't expire. Really nice price for this computer with a transmitter (and I'll be happy to be done with my Suunto, which likes to nag at me).

The VT4.1 is probably a little easier to read underwater than my VT3. The menu system is much improved. The shortcut for FiO2 is nice. Having had Oceanics since my first ProPlus in 2001, the menu system is not difficult for me, others have criticized the older computers.

...... Anything else I need to think about before taking this thing on a trip?.
1) Take the VT4 online class. It is free if you register your VT4 with Oceanic.
2) Take your new dive computer on a virtual dive with our eDiving scuba diving simulator so you can get familiar it. You can even send it into deep deco and skip all deco stops or do a fast ascent and you will not get hurt (but your avatar might die on the spot :D)

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Back
Top Bottom