Oceanic vs. Uwatec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NinaK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Need some opinions. I am AOW and Nitrox certified, I dive every couple of weeks and looking to buy my own computer.

The 2 contenders are:

a) Oceanic VT4.1 wrist computer with transmitter
b) Uwatec Galileo Sol wrist computer with transmitter

From everything I've read on these 2 so far, they are pretty similar in specs and functions (Yes, I know about 2 algorithms vs 1). I would love to get some opinions from you! Which one would you choose and why?

Neither. For what you'll spend on those two with transmitters (plus you'll need an spg as back up anyway for when the transmitter craps out, which it will) you could get a Shearwater Petrel that you'll never outgrow, with unparalleled support, ease of use, and easily mastered.

I picked the Galileo because the algorithm and compass suit my preferences perfectly, plus it is very easy to use and has a big display. I also like that the Galileo allows some customization of the screen content, since I prefer less info and a larger font. I really like the "All Silent" mode too, preferring to use only the visual alarms to keep things quiet.

Reactions: CPH
Neither. For what you'll spend on those two with transmitters (plus you'll need an spg as back up anyway for when the transmitter craps out, which it will) you could get a Shearwater Petrel that you'll never outgrow, with unparalleled support, ease of use, and easily mastered.

Agreed

The Petrel is indeed well-regarded on the forum. I would point out that it's not air-integrated, so if you want your dive log & software to record your start & end tank pressures, you'll be doing it with pen or keyboard.

Some people don't care about air-integration. Some of us like it. Your choice.

If you're going to compare the Petrel and the VT4, you might take a look at interface design. I own neither; I use a VT3 and a Cobalt. The Cobalt's interface blows the VT3 out of the water for ease of use. I've heard people speak well of the Petrel's interface, but I've not used one. Also, the Petrel is a tec. computer, and I don't know how well tec. divers' views on easy & intuitive translate to rec. divers. It may be just fine!

Richard.

Thank you! However, I am not comparing VT4 to Petrel, or Uwatec to Petrel. Petrel is a respected computer, granted, but I think it's way too advanced and is mostly designed for tech divers.
I am not a tech diver, nor am I planning on becoming a tech diver, I am just a rec diver that is planning on continuing diving every few weeks, and I'd like to invest in a quality computer that can suit advanced rec diver needs.

The biggest con I've read about Oceanic is the "scroll to" requirement to get all info you may need on a dive vs. Uwatec all-on-screen info that's available with a quick glanse. On the other side the con to Uwatec is bulkiness and weight.

Can I please get opinions on these 2 computers?

Btw, I do realize the transmitter can fail, and will have a back up simple comp and pressure gauge.

I am familiar with both of these computers. Two of my friends have the VT4 and I own a Galileo Sol and love it. I have never had any problems. My advice to you is that if you plan on Galileo just get a Luna. I thought I wanted the heart monitor and all that and have only worn it a few times. It's not really worth the extra money. It is bulky though and you have to take it off before taking your BCD off and its always the last piece of gear I put on..but it is nice to have that large display and I really bought mine because of the display and I also dive with my kids and the Galileo still does buddy air, the Oceanic doesn't. I have read posts about people who have had their strap break while diving so I dummy cord mine down. Personally I hate the compass feature on mine..it is way too sensetive and for me and hard to set a bearing on. I just use a retractable compass. You can walk away with a Luna cheaper than you can the VT4 but Oceanic gives you free dive computer training. The glass for the Galileo is $15 dollars but to me money well spent. The thing does everything but make coffee. I have also heard people complain that the Galileo is a more conservative "wuss" computer as far as its algorithm but personally I like it and I have mine set on L2. I have owned a Veo 1.0 and the DSAT or Pelagic Z algorithms on the Oceanic's are good too..supposedly a little more aggressive. I am no expert on algorithms so confirm things about this for yourself. My friends and I never really have any problems diving together. The DSAT table wont have you pull a deep stop until you go below 80 feet whereas I have had to do a PDIS (Galileo half stop) diving only 60-70 feet due to microbubbles and time at depth. But it is always better to err on the side of caution. Ohh...and btw...neither one of their back lights are that good. In short though..both are good computers and u won't soon outgrow either one. Just do your homework, try to play with each one and decide which one you like the best. This is a big time investment. Hope I could help you.

Classic case of SBers recommending their favorites rather than answering the OPs question. I dive a VT3 primary and like it very much. I have 325 dives on it without a single problem and 1 battery change. I dive a Geo2 with a SPG backup with similar reliability and battery life. Personally, I appreciate the DSAT algorithm for my recreational diving. I use a wrist compass and can't think of a good reason to replace it. Sorry I cannot compare to Uwatec computers, I have no personal experience. There you go.

I own galileo sol and love it, all info on display is great, i like it more tha friends vt3 for the size, vt3 seems hard to see in low viz, plus it has a buddy air which is useful if diving with someone who has uwatec computer/transmitter

Shearwater Petrel, the new Hog:D

I want one too.

---------- Post added November 5th, 2013 at 08:54 PM ----------

FWIW Oceanic has great customer service by all accounts, Scubapro not so much certainly in my experience anyway. Shearwaters customer service appears exemplary.

Back
Top Bottom