Oceanic Viper or ScubaPro Jet Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Noob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I'm planning on getting the Oceanic Viper Open Heel fins with spring straps from a friend (slightly used). Does anyone have experience with them?

From what I've read, the reviews are generally positive. However, many of the reviews mention that it's not as rigid (and more flexible than) as other fins and that the straps are weak (not an issue, as I'm getting spring straps). But the flexibility might make propulsion easier.

If I had more cash, I'd probably shell it out for the ScubaPro Jet Fins, which have a very high rating.

Is it worth it to save the money and get the Oceanic Viper? What's better in the ScubaPro fins, and what's better in the Oceanic Viper fins?

Either of those fins are ok.

The Oceanic ones are a rip-off of the Mares Quattro, which have been very popular and have gotten consistently good reviews over the years.

The main differences you'll notice are two-fold

1) the Quattro/Viper fins will eventually "wear out" because they will tear in the rubber parts between the plastic. How long this will take depends on how nice you are to them, but one way or another they will not be the last fins you ever buy. The jetfins, however, are virtually indestructible and they may very well last a lifetime.

2) The Jetfins are negatively buoyant and the Quattro (and I assume the Viper) are neutrally buoyant. This can/will affect your trim. Depending on what you're using now and how your trim is, I would tend to take this into consideration when making a decision.

R..

If you want Jets, just keep your eyes open and be patient. I found a pair of used Jet XL's locally for ten bucks.

Now it's just a matter of finding Jets in a size Large somewhere. Well, I'm not in a rush, as I have a pair of used split fins that are still holding together.

1) the Quattro/Viper fins will eventually "wear out" because they will tear in the rubber parts between the plastic. How long this will take depends on how nice you are to them, but one way or another they will not be the last fins you ever buy. The jetfins, however, are virtually indestructible and they may very well last a lifetime.
I've never heard of anyone who've had their Vipers rip or tear, the rubber on them is simply not that weak, and I'm sure these fins will last quite a while.

2) The Jetfins are negatively buoyant and the Quattro (and I assume the Viper) are neutrally buoyant. This can/will affect your trim. Depending on what you're using now and how your trim is, I would tend to take this into consideration when making a decision.
They are neutrally buoyant, which is one of the reasons why I would want them over the Jetfins. Another reason is that they're lighter than the Jetfins, this means you won't get tired as quickly, thereby helping you conserve air. The straps on the Jetfins will have to be replaced with springs also, whereas I haven't found the need to use springs on my Viper's. I also like the way they look, but that's a minor concern.

Just some food for thought.

I do not own and have never used Jets. I generally use Cressi frogs (indestructible 13 years and counting) but they are quite heavy and a large % of my diving is travel diving. I bought some Vipers and put on some Tusa spring straps. I like them a lot they are noticeably lighter then my Cressis and I have experienced no issues performance wise (single tank OW rec) and for the price they are hard to beat.

I've never heard of anyone who've had their Vipers rip or tear, the rubber on them is simply not that weak, and I'm sure these fins will last quite a while.

They will...if you expect your gear to last a few years or a few hundred dives then it doesn't matter. They're decent fins nonetheless. If you dive enough they *will* wear out... I promise you. Maybe it will take 500 dives but it will happen.

I also like the way they look, but that's a minor concern.

It sounds like you've made your decision. That's cool

R..

I've already tried Vipers and Jetfins (and I use regularly my Quattro- haven't ever seen in a decade anybody who was able to tear the rubber in it) and they feel totally different. The Viper's strap really weak, but it's very lightweight, easy to swim with but wasn't much fun to use it in current. I liked the rigid Jetfns because I usually prefer frog kick, but honestly, I wouldn't ever replace my Quattro with spring straps to any of these. Viper seemed ideal choice when they offered here a pair for 25 USD, for a diver who do recreational dives in warm water and travel by air it's OK. For drysuit Jetfin is much better in my opinion. The Mares is an all-rounder.:)

I've been diving vipers for about a year & a half and put springs on them about 60 dives ago.

The only issue I've had is that it took me about 25 dives before I got used to how "loose" they felt compared to the original straps.

Jets are great, but heavy for travel. I will not dive anything else again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom