Oceanic Versa Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well my wife and I bought two of the Versapro's. We had the bullet proof Genesis systems before and gave them to our kids as they just got certified and we wanted to upgrade to geezer gas eventually, so it looked like the time.

Our first problem was with documentation. Our units didn't have complete information and it took several calls and trips to our LDS to get the documentation. Ok, now we know how to use the systems...kinda.

My system had the optional boot with the computer and the SPG on the same side. We ordered one for my wife's sytem, took two trys but we finally got it. Tested my wife's system in the pool, she nitrogen loaded in 14feet and the pool registered a whopping 330 degress f. Ok, we took that one back and got a new one. This one wouldn't go into set mode. Okay took this one back and got another.

Ok we look good heading to our vacation diving. Both units registered very close to each other, so we are pretty sure they worked accurately. We loved the systems. Being an old fart I loved the big number display, the water temperature and surface interval. We had a few propblems, but I attributed this to new systems and our inexperience. Now I am not so sure, but that isn't our problem now.

I get home to download our dives and look at our progile graphically and phfffftttt! Dates are screwed up on my wife's computer, and dives that are registered on her system won't download, plus plus plus plus plus plus.

Now my system was able to download two dives out of 10 and of course, these were all hosed up as well. They are still stored in my system, just can't make that move form the versapro to the computer. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Tried to reinstall the software, played with access and the raw data files and I can't figure out what it is trying to do. I hope I can find a way to save the raw data until they get this stuff figured out.

I left them an EMAIL to express my frustration. I love the sytems, but my patience is wearing very very very thin!

p.s. running XP but that shouldn't make any difference....at this level

So far, we have had no problems with our Oceanic DataPro Plus's. All three of us in our family have them and have so far done 13 dives on them. Hope they don't develop problems.

The Suunto's seem to be more trouble free, but I wish they would change their practically unreadable display (for us presbyopes) and make their graphical display more intuitive.

ET

Oceanic tech support is certainly nothing to write home about. I've sent them about four unanswered emails, and left two voicemail messages - no response.

Still have not been able to successfully download all the dives in either of my VersaPros to a PC - they always come out corrupted. Latest trial was using a different cable from my LDS - this time, it actually worked worse.

A co-worked tried the same cable. First few times he tried it, same corrupted dive issue. After I gave it back to him, he tried wiggling the connector around a whole lot (in an attempt to clear any fouling on the cable end or the dive computer), and said that he was finally able to get a good download. I'm loaning him my cable to see if he has the same luck with it. I think he's running Windows 2000, and he installed the software straight off the CD.

Needless to say, this whole episode (have been "dealing" with tech support for about three months now) has been quite frustrating, and has not produced much in the way of useful results. I'm not very happy with the performance of the download package, nor with Oceanic's tech support staff. It's really too bad, since I really do like the computer itself, and have had really good luck with it.

As an aside - if anyone else has the NavCon setup with the compass, does your compass have bubbles in it? I could swear that neither of mine did, but while testing out the new cable, I noticed that one of mine now does have some air bubbles in it. Just wondering if they all do, or if there might be a problem there too.

Anyone have an idea where Oceanic stands in all this mess??? I am surprised they aren't jumping all over this issue.

Has anyone been able to contact them either by phone, EMAIL or in person? Next step I guess is confrontation at DEMA to see what gives!

:(

Ummmm -- what's DEMA?

DEMA is the Diving equipment Manufacturing Association. They are having a convention in Las Vegas in October. It's where the professional dive people go to get sold on the latest products.

I’ve received allot of help from people on this board so I thought it was time I gave back. I have had similar problems as everyone else. I think I have solved them (no help from Oceanic). There are a couple problems.

1. The Can’t Open Database error is due to the wrong version of MSJET35.DLL. I found the correct version that works under XP/2000 and put it on my FTP site (link below)

2. Black lettering/errors within the application are due to the wrong version of CTL3d32.DLL. I found the right version for this one too.

3. Finally, I had the same problem where I got corrupt data when I would download. First, make sure you reboot after you install the Oceanlog software and copy the above DLL’s into the \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 directory (rename the existing ones). If that does not work then you will need Microsoft Access to open the MDB file and delete all the entries and start over. If you need an empty one send me an email and I can send one to you.

That’s about it. I think it all works for me now. Oh, you can get the files from ftp://ftp.shookster.com/public/versa_xp.zip this is my own FTP site so please don’t kill it. You can see a sample of my dive logs at http://www.shookster.com.

As most of you, I love my computer but these little problems are annoying. After resolving these issues it looks like everything is OK. I will be going to the Bahamas next week so I’ll have update logs then.

Back
Top Bottom