Oceanic Veo 200 Backlight Broken?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pfibiger

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I was recently given an amazing collection of gear from my boss, who is no longer diving. I went from having skin diving equipment and thinking about slowing aquiring pieces to being totally equipped. The reg set includes an Oceanic nav console with a Veo 200 computer in it. I sent the whole set off for service and got a new battery in the computer (it was dead). Looking through the manual everything seems to be working as expected except for the backlight. It doesn't turn on when pressing the righthand button. I looked through the settings and it's currently set to stay on for 7 seconds. Is this something that I'm missing how to turn on, or is it more likely that the backlight is broken? Is this something that can be repaired, or should I bank on replacing the unit?

Thanks so much!

Two things to check - 1) the Veo 200 has a sensor - the backlight will only activate in a low light condition, so if you're pushing the button and cupping the display with your hand to see if it's lit, it likely isn't. 2) Not likely as you've just had the battery changed, but still a possibility - at low power levels, the backlight will not operate to conserve power.

Two things to check - 1) the Veo 200 has a sensor - the backlight will only activate in a low light condition, so if you're pushing the button and cupping the display with your hand to see if it's lit, it likely isn't. 2) Not likely as you've just had the battery changed, but still a possibility - at low power levels, the backlight will not operate to conserve power.

Doug,

Thanks for the suggestions. The battery meter shows full bars, so I don't know any other way to diagnose whether #2 is the issue. As for #1, I tested it in a completely darkened room and got nothing, so I think it's just not working.

I suppose that means that the backlight is shot. I guess that I now again have scuba equipment on my christmas wishlist :shocked2:

Back
Top Bottom