Oceanic USB Issue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarineResearch

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a strange issue with my dive computers related to the functionality of the USB connection for the download cables. For background:

- 3 Oceanic computers: VT Pro, VT3 and Atom 2.0
- Two computers, Sony VAIO laptop, clone quad core desktop
- Windows XP (up to date)
- Oceanlog v2.1.8

Everything functions perfectly on the desktop.

I get three beeps when I plug the VT3 cable into the Sony VAIO laptop, while the VT Pro and Atom 2.0 cables and computers work fine.

Since everything works fine on my desktop, obviously there is not a problem with the hardware or driver. Two of three computers/cables work on the laptop, but the VT3 is a dud, even though I think all use the same USB driver setup.

Took a beer break...

Problem solved. The Sony VAIO was in a docking station and connected to a IOGear switch when I originally installed the Oceanic USB driver. The VT3 uses a "USB Serial Converter" device, while VT Pro and Atom 2.0 use a "2002 Design Inc. USB Download Interface" (all included in the Oceanic driver). I uninstalled the "USB Serial Converter" device, undocked the laptop, plugged in the VT3 USB cable and updated the driver using the Oceanic driver.

So, I guess the issue comes down to potential problems when installing the Oceanic driver when there are already a load of USB devices installed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom