Oceanic Swivel Octo Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Below H2O

Reaction score
I have a brand new Oceanic Swivel Octo that I am a little concerned about. The problem is, when first turn on the air, I can wiggle the hose near the 2nd stage and get some air to leak out around the fittings. But, after a few wiggles it seems to seat itself and no more air comes out. Should I be concerned?

Thanks,
Mark

Take a couple adjustable wrenchs and remove the second stage and inspect the O-ring. Does it have any nicks or creases? Re-lube with silicone if not and replace and snug the fittings back up. Check again. If it still leaks try replacing the o-ring for a new one.

Just because it's new doesn't mean the o-rings aren't bad.

It is definitely has something to do with the O-Rings. They looked good, possibly on the dry side. I re-lubed them and can't get it to happen again. I would feel much better about this octo if I could find some oversized O-Rings.

Thanks,
Mark

i would recommend checking underwater when the reg is leaking. This way you can find the exact location of the leak. Any LDS will have the o-rings you need. Another thing that could cause a leak is if the female end gets crushed the threads will no longer seal.

I ended up applying some soapy water around the fittings. The leak was definitely coming through an o-ring. I re-lubed the o-rings and can't get it to leak again.

Thanks,
Mark

on another note...

How does it breathe? Is it better than the AquaLung LPO?

I can't compare it to a AquaLung LPO. Aside from the o-ring thing, I am pretty happy with this octo. It doesn't breath too hard and the swivel is a nice feature.

Okay, now I really have a problem. This octo is fine when left alone. However, when put in a "scumball" type octo holder or the preformed octo holder, the Oceanic Swivel 180 will start to freeflow. It isn't a full blown freeflow, just a continuous stream of bubbles. Is there a fix for this or do I need to return it to Oceanic?

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Below H2O,
.......about the octo holder.......I think the term is "scumball" ...not "slimeball". :)

Karl

Back
Top Bottom