Oceanic Regulators - LP Ports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new Scuba diver (already getting my own equipment) and have a question about Oceanic Regulators (CDX5 and FDX10).

Which LP port should be used to connect Primary Second Stage and which to connect Octo?
By default Primary is connected to the back port on the right side when regulator mounted on standing tank (on CDX5 this port was market R but not on FDX10).
It does not make sense when I’m in upright position (first Octo, then Primary). It starts making senses when I’m in horizontal position (top port – Primary, bottom port – Octo).
I saw some older video from scuba.com and they were attaching Primary Second Stage to the front port on the right side (opposite to what comes from factory ... ).

or is it just personal preference?

Thank You

Shouldn't make a difference. Some regulators have a "Primary" LP port which is slightly wider in diameter (we're talking millimeters of a difference) which is supposed to give you a better flow rate. These ports are marked as such or at least detailed in your regulator manual.

It shouldn't realistically make a perceived difference whether you use that port or not, because your second stage and first stage should both work together and already give you a stable air flow. Plugging it into that port won't make it work any differently or better or worse.

So the quick and short answer to your question is, it is personal preference or a hose routing issue that people choose to mount their hoses in one LP port or the other.

Which ever way the hoses route better is best. You want to strive for minimal bend in both LP hoses.

place the hose so it goes around your head and not your shoulder. The port marked R has the air directed to it for a more lamener flow inside the first stage for better deep water performance

Which ever you like. The "special" ports are more sales BS than useful. Sure some ports may flow more wide open....all well and good but once you hook a second stage to it, that becomes the limiting factor. Reguardless of the max flow of a port, the second stage becomes the limiting factor and even if it didn't, all modern second stages can flow way more gas than a diver can possibly inhale.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom