Oceanic Reg ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shellback

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an older Oceanic reg, bought it back in '93 or so and do not use it all that much. Not even sure of the model of the first stage but it came with a Delta 2nd. Had it on a tank the other day getting ready to go diving and heard a small hiss. Left it and took another reg that day. Just today I put it on a tank and put it in water. Seen that their was a small trickle coming from one of the small holes on the turret. Is this a normal thing for this particular reg ?

Attachments

• Oceanic.jpg
    Oceanic.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 296
Nope, that puppy needs a rebuild. The only reg that I am aware of that should bubble are Sherwoods (non-SR-1) and those from one specific place.

It's the Oceanic piston reg.......a direct copy of the Scubapro MK5.
There are 2 o rings sealing the piston.....it needs a service.

I was thinking that it was not supposed to leak by but been so long since I have used it I just was not sure. It is interesting though since that reg has not been used more than 5 times since last service and rinsed good after each use.

It's likely that the HP o-ring on the piston shaft is leaking. If that o-ring dries out and shrinks a little, it won't fit tightly around the piston shaft. I'd be curious so know if that regulator can use the SP seat. I'll take a guess that you need a 010 (preferably duro 90) for the HP piston, a 022 for the LP piston, and a 013 for the seat seal.

Halocline, since I have never had this reg apart but have seen the manual for it, think I am going to open it up and take a look at it this weekend. I am assuming that these O-rings can be purchased individually ? If so what is a good source for them ? Since it is supposed to be similar to the SP MK5 I would also wonder if the HP seat would be the same. After doing a quick search online I did not see any sources for the service kit for the reg so I guess Oceanic keeps a tight rein on parts for their regs.

I think the original Oceanic BP uses the same HP seat as older Scubapros and a host of others. If you just remove the seat retainer and take a picture of the HP seat sitting in the retainer, it should be fairly clear. The newer Oceanic BP take a real tall cave cone seat that I think can be sourced through Trident. I expect the O-rins may be the same. If you have the Oceanic schematic, as I recall, the last three digits in the Oceanic part numbers are the 2- numbers. But don't hold me too that.

Thanks for the info Herman and Awap, going to look into it further and see what I come up with. Seen the MK5 kits on the vintage reg site but of course not sure if the HP seat is the same but all of the O-ring sizes appear to be correct for it, headway at last !

Your best bet, if you're not in a hurry, would be to take it apart and post some photos, maybe with some measurements. If you get the Vance Harlow book, there's a chart in there that's not bad at all for sizing o-rings. The toughest one to remove will be the HP piston o-ring, assuming it's set in a journal like the MK5. If there are bushings that hold it in place, it will be much easier to remove and install, but you'll have to hope the bushings are in good enough shape to re-use or find an oceanic kit. If I were to guess, I'd say no bushings and an 010 HP o-ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom