Oceanic policy . . . or LDS rip off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awap,

Good thinking on the parts. We pick it up today, so I'll be sure to ask for the old parts and see what "else" he might have replaced. I hate to jump right to "this guy's a thief" but I also hate to pay for things I don't need. Always glad to have a good team get me what I need - ala "you really needed this and I repalced it for you to be safe" but . . . if not needed and it was only repalced to cover someone's backside, or if being charged too much to cover his car payments . . . not good!

More to follow once I find out.

Thanks all.
MAXIMILLION

Well, I want to share the final result of a conversation, what turns out to be a fair experience and what once again, brings me back to having some faith in my LDS. First, let me take away any badness from the name I haev dropped questioning them - Dive Quarters in Virginia Beach, VA has been good and generally fair on pricing and so forth, and in this case, they seem to ahve been keeping with that fairness in the most part. Here's the case for the $143 "service" on the used reg:
- First problem - we were being charged $20 for an octo service - the Octo was brand new! Bought it from them and they were to install it after the service. They of course did not service it so they dropped that $20. Cost now = $123.
- Second problem - mouthpiece on 2nd stage was bad - needed replacement. Add $13 for a new piece. Brings the cost to $110
- Finally, they do ahve a policy of replacing all parts - that's good. At $20 per stage (= $40), plus kits and tax, it panned out to be $110.

Bottom line, it still seems to be about $10 - $20 too high, but back in the ball park of reason.

All said, the owner spent an hour working with my son when he picked up the reg tuning it to his liking, sharing the nuances of how it worked and so forth, explaining his shop, showing him some of his other geat, etc, etc. The benefits of working with a LDS, in this case.

So - questions basically answered. As always, get the estimate FIRST! Secondly, get to know the folks at the LDS - it pays dividends. Lastly, if in doubt, ASK THEM and dig a little.

After all wa said and done, we tested out the new gear in their pool and had a ball.

THanks all for your kind information on costs, knowledge and thoughts on how to approach this situation and insight fom years of experience. It is appreciated!

MAXIMILLION

Sounds like the octo charge was a clerical error. It sounds like you found yourself a good shop. Like anything in life when you found a good one keep it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom