Oceanic policy . . . or LDS rip off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maximillion

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Took a used reg I bought locally for my son (fairly new Oceanic GT3/CDX5) in for an inspection and service. Since it was purchased used I figured it was the safe thing to do before use. I was told it would be $20 for each stage plus parts. OK, fine - wounded reasonable. Bill came to $143.00! I was told it was this LDS Owners "policy" to "replace everything" just because that's what he does since he is tired of having a reg come in for service and then ahving the customer take it back, only to bring it in again after one dive with it leaking or something and blaming him. His "policy" therefore is to replace everything.

I asked if that was Oceanic standard. I was told no. I was NOT told of this policy, nor did I have any incling of it prior to the turn in or I would not have left it with him.

Anyhow, I caould have purchased a BRAND NEW Oceanic PX3 DVT/CDX5 on Liesure Pro for $159!! Seems to me that $143 for a Service is outrageous and I would like OCEANIC's thoughts on this subject.

LDS is Dive Quarters in Virginia Beach (a shop I have only recently reported having a GOOD experience with on purchase of a new regulator!!)

Seems very inconsistent!

Thanks for your (Oceanic's) and others' thoughts/

max

$ 20 per stage is not bad but parts will come at around $30/35 so what did he replace.:confused:

Oceanic servicekit include most o-rings,HP poppet,1st stage membrane and filter.
and for the 2nd stage o-rings,LP seat,washer and 1 locknut.

I expect that you will find that Oceanic does not have a "policy" for the rebuild of regulators purchased used and brought to a dealer for service.

At our store, we offer two services in this situation.....

Inspect, Adjust, and Test..................$27.00. This DOES NOT cover any dis-assembly or rebuild of the regulator. It is simply an evaluation, adjusting, and testing service.

Complete Rebuild. At our store the labor is $60 for the first stage, second stage, and octopus. For the regulator you listed (CDX5/GT3, the first stage parts would be $30.00, the GT3 second stage parts would be $12.00 and the octopus parts would be $10.00. This would give you a price of $112.00 plus sales tax.

I don't know what "replace everything" means. In almost all cases, the "hard" parts of the regulator do not require replacement unless a specific problem is detected. The rebuild kits listed above include all of the "soft part" except the inhalation diaphragms.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

Oceanic kits are 30.00 per stage for 1st stage, 15 for the poppet upgrade on diaphragm 1st stage only, second stage is 13 bucks or so from my sources. You would most likely be charged for 1st stage kit 30-35 bucks, 2 seconds( primary and octo) say 25-30 combined, and 60 labor for all 3 stages. On the high side it works out to 135 plus tax. Did he charge any labor for looking at the SPG console, etc.? Since this reg was not under warranty (BTW it is now since he did a full service as an authorized dealer) I don't see this as out of line. I do think you should have asked for an estimate before leaving though. When I used to do regs in the shop we always gave an estimate before the customer left. I never buy anything or get any kind of service without asking for an upfront quote. This is just common sense. When I took my Oceanic tech course I was told that policy is to use the whole kit. On a reg the shop did not sell and had not serviced before, what they did was entirely proper according to the training I got.

As to their policy of replacing everything- GOOD FOR THEM! It's about time I hear of a shop that does not skimp or cut corners. I;ve seen techs take a kit look at the parts of the reg and if something looks halfway decent not replace it. This is bullcrap. THe customer is getting charged for the kit or the shop is getting credit for it so do a full rebuild. It's why I service my own. I KNOW when I'm done I essentially have a brand new reg. Not one with some new parts and some old ones. You have an LDS with a good policy. You are lucky.

Phil and I posted at the same time. We are not far off considering he did not include the poppet upgrade. I also do an eval that does not include taking anything apart other than pulling the hose protectors back( you'd be surprised at what you find there sometimes). I do this for 25 bucks on any reg set.

OK - thanks to all. No Octo on this reg, and no guages yet. Just the 1st and 2nd stages. So it should have maxed out at about $100 (35 + 25 + 40 labor). He charged $143. Seems high to me by about $40 even if it "needed" or should have had all the parts, as you say/recommend. Happy to have the full kit used since again, it was a used reg in who knows what condition. But I just hate being oversharged $40 for no good reason!

Whether or not the LDS policy is good or bad, I can't think of any justification for keeping the policy secret, saying that the service would be one price and charging quite a bit more.

Whether or not the LDS policy is good or bad, I can't think of any justification for keeping the policy secret, saying that the service would be one price and charging quite a bit more.

I've got to agree. For him to quote you a very reasonable price up front and then spike it on the back end seems pretty shady to me. If he were going to charge you to replace everything he should have told you that up front instead of giving you the impression that he was just going to do a routine service and inspection. Likely all he is trying to do is to increase his profit margin. Unethical business practices like that, however, are a major factor in driving repeat customers away. Once bitten twice shy. The title that you have chosen for this thread shows that you should probably look elsewhere next time.

Jason

I suggest you have the shop return all used parts to you (they are yours). Then you can better discuss exactly what was replaced and the parts costs. The $40 to $50 discrepancy could be accounted for in a new 2nd stage mouthpiece, diaphragm, and exhaust valve. Such parts are not normally replaced unless they are found to be defective.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom