Oceanic Omega 3: Any reports?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a side note/story, while I have no issues with my Omega 2 being wet, its just a matter of head angle, if water is gathering one needs to tilt the exhaust a little lower than horizontal. I knew this going into it just by logic. I also did not mind this "disadvantage" as the side exhaust has more benefits than a standard 2nd stage, and I particularly do a lot of upside down "sight seeing"...

Anyways... Buddy is low on air, we are at our safety stop 15ft waiting to clear, we opt to use my Octo which also is a Omega 2, this should be perfect being a side exhaust... well hanging off the assent line in a decent current we are flopping around, the Octo hose 36" is oddly twisted, my Buddy has the Omega Octo oddly in his mouth with the exhaust above level so things are not going very well to say the least. He manages, but I know the issue, trying to rectify the issue at that time in that particular situation was not going well. We were managing our depth and about to clear, worst case it would have been a safe emergency assent. I tried to advise him to adjust the Octo in his mouth but... he waved me off and was "managing". Gave me some grief (jokingly) afterwards about my "unique" second stage...

Anyways that was years ago, just went diving recently with the same buddy, and it didnt really dawn on me until after this recent dive, that among all the predive checks, that I (nor anyone else that I observe, even any dive master) review the "redundancy procedures" thoroughly. Just a casual Yup you have a secondary source... perhaps the tech divers do so, but now thinking about it, I never recall this particular predive review, we are all trained... but after that we (recreation divers) never really (being honest) review that particular training. In an "pool" type environment this certainly should not be an issue, but add in a decent or worst current hanging onto a line complicate things and risk further.

Anyways it may be advisory to review with your buddy (if unfamiliar) the "particularities" of ones Omega in a octo/buddy breathing situation, easy if face to face with no current... now try that again with a ripping current... no longer fun.

Remember to TILT your head!

PS just got a flex hose, OMG! Why bother with a swivel, absolutely no jaw fatigue after a dive. And I have a standard simple mouth piece. It just lays there, no more pull or tilting.

very nice review, thanks.

---------- Post added June 18th, 2014 at 03:01 PM ----------

I asked another member about his experience with the Hollis version (500SE) and here is what he sent:

Got a chance to dive the 500SE yesterday. Wow, WOW, WOW!!! Ok, first I got it for the side exhaust. I was happy with my Cressi XS2 and the way it breathed. Used it cold (low 40's) and used it deep (130') and it breathed easy. The 500SE doesn't breathe easy - it breathes so smooth it's not real. It's like there is NO cracking pressure. As soon as you start a breath you get air immediately. It's like breathing at the surface sitting on your couch. I don't think you could over-breathe it.

Also, the exhaust extending to the side balances the reg in your mouth. With the Cressi the hose was always twisting it somewhat so I had to grip the mouthpiece some. Not so the Hollis. It just sits in my mouth unnoticed. Some of that is from the mouthpiece. The grips are at the back so your molars naturally grip without any real pressure.

And, no bubbles. I actually had to stop and look for them. The side exhaust is totally great. All the bubbles go to the side and behind my vision. I have terrific peripherial vision and I had to conciously look for the bubbles.

I can't tell you how happy I am with this reg. I bought only the 500SE 2nd stage. I'm using it with a Cressi AC2 1st stage. It's an unbalanced piston type - which I like because they are simple, very reliable, bulletproof. I'm not sure there could be any improvement with the Hollis 1st stage but I could be wrong. Any improvement would have to be very small - not enough to move me from the unbalanced piston design.

In short - I'm happy, happy, happy.

Added for BurhanMuntasser: Yes it absolutely uses standard hoses/connectors.

I would like to see someone do a comparison between the old and new Omega. I heard the new Omega exhaust valve was redesigned to keep it more dry (I dont particularly have an issue with the old). Does seem to be "significantly" larger than the old style. I use a standard mouth piece and ever since I replaced the LP hose with a maxflex hose my old regulator "floats" in my mouth (no more pull).

I like the design better than the Hollis version, but, for now, my issue with the omega is the proprietary hose. They do not make it in a 7' length. Until they do, or offer a second stage that takes a standard hose, I will not be buying . . . They shot themselves in the foot with that, as this reg appeals more to experienced or even tech divers who are familiar with and have been waiting for a servo design in a new production model.

This is a bit old thread, but wanted to note that I had bought Omega 3 with maxflex hose being worried that I will have to make an adapter for use with a normal hose 3/8. When I got it, it was obvious that there is an adapter attached to the hose being integral part of it. So it's actually better and can be used with any hose.
I would also would like to note it is one of the simplest regulator out there [that makes it genius] that breathes like a pilot valve regulator.
My Omega 3 has no pre dive , but it seems like it's the same as the other type.
And last tech tip , do not attampt to dissconet a hose using the housing as counter force... Takeout the valve body first, and than use correct tools. Creating play between the valve body and the housing will impact performance!

Attachments

• IMG-20190916-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20190916-WA0006.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 97
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom