Oceanic Octo advice: Alpha 8 or Swivel 180??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eduardo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Considering either the Alpha 8 or Swivel 180 and would like to get advice from actual users. Any significant pros or cons for a recreational diver that may do 20-30 warm water dives annually?

Any disadvantage to the Swivel 180?

Thanks!

Hi I dive with a swivel, but the older style one (I believe its just cosmetic changes).

For recreational diving, I cannot find fault with it - in terms of it being a 'backup' reg.

You suck, it delivers - you live. Thats all I need in terms of a backup reg. Yes it breaths a little wet, and the exhaust exit isn't exactly in the best place, but it functions - and it takes up less space.

Hope that helps!

Trickster: Thanks for the feedback. It seems to fit my limited demands and so far I've been impressed with Oceanic's engineering. My concern is if the swivel might be another point of possible mechanical problems.

Respirar y vivir....buen resultado!

We have sold a lot of both the Alpha 8 octo and the swivel 180. The Alpha 8 will deliver air when you need it the most, in an emergency! You will feel like you are pulling a bit harder on it that other octos but no worse than other octos either. The swivel 180 is a low profile octo but we have found we need to adjust that one after you dive with it a few times. If you are buying it from an online dealer just take that into consideration if you need to bring it to a local dive shop. Some may charge you for this very simple adjustment. If you are looking for a excellent breathing octo you may take a look at the Atomic line and the SS1.

I just bought an Atomic B2 with a oceanic 180 swivel octo. Have not been down with it yet as im recovering from eye surgery but hope to get it wet this weekend. What "adjustments" are you refering to re: the 180? cheers!

Jay

A little tuning is usually needed to lessen the possibility of it free flowing. At least mine did but since then(nearly 100 dives) no issues. I'd recommend it for recreational diving. I got a GT3 for a back up on my long hose setup though(Delta 3 primary)

Thanks folks.

Debraw: I don't know if I can justify the additional cost of the Atomic SS1 versus the Swivel 180. Is the adjustment simple enough for me to do it?

Scuba-Jay: Let me know how you like it after you dive this weekend!

did you dive with your new 180 octo this weekend.Thinking about using it in my bungee around my neck setup. Currently I have a older sherwood brut hanging around my neck. Figure the 180 would hang better

I have the 180 and and it works fine never had a free flow or problems on it. Had to check it out before and it breaths descent at 50 ft for an octo. I think most like it because it 1 looks really cool and 2 it swivals.

Back
Top Bottom