Oceanic GEO eating batteries!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yesterday when I went to my LDS to inquire about my GEO, they informed me that they decided to replace it with a new one since it would take time to send and return my problematic unit to US since were here in Saudi Arabia.

Hope this unit works as expeted..any how i'll keep posting on this tread to let you know how the replacement unit is doing.

I sent my new Geo back to the manufacturer. I bought a new one about a week and a half ago becuase it was on sale because of the new 2.0's. I changed the battery on it this past monday, and now it has quit completely. Luckily I caught it on my cell phone camcorder acting up so I could show it to the LDS where I bought it. I will update you all on what Oceanic does with my Geo, would be nice if I could get a new 2.0.:D

don't know what to say now with GEO, yesterday morning at around 7 while on our way to the sea the GEO sunddenly died down, no display at all but since we are already on our way to the sea, i open the battery compartment and remove and place back the battery again to see what would happend and to my amazement the GEO starts working again. I completed 3 dives and up to know the GEO is still alive and working.

This unit is just 3 days old, a replacement from my 2 month old GEO that also died down.

I sent my Geo in for the second time on 12/14/2009. I was told that Oceanic was replacing my Geo with the Geo 2. I really appreciate the upgrade. As of today, 3/13/10 I have not received the new unit. Dive season opens for me in April, so I hope Oceanic will send out my unit soon. That is my experience with the Geo.

Marc Findlay

I have similar problem with my Aeris XR1; not oceanic but as far I know Oceanic and Aeris is same product.
I don't think the problem come from the battery.
I bought 2 Aeris XR1 in 2008 for my daughter and my wife. Recently, after approx. 50 dives, both of them require battery replacement.
No problem for the first one until now (15 dives) still okay. But not for the second computer.
Just after 12 dives, the lo batt status was flashing again. I though, the battery quality was not good - so I replace with another new battery. Even worst now; it can only survive for 3 dives.
I don't think I made a mistake when I replaced the battery. I also replaced my Atmos 2 battery - and so far has reached more than 40 dives without any problem. I use exactly same battery for all, ie. Panasonic.
I've posted in Aeris forum but no response.

my geo died down again, open again the batt. compartment,remove/return back the battery and works again but this time i got the display "CHGE BATT" for a few second; date and time reset back to original setting "2006". This is the second time i got the same problem with this unit, a replacement which i got 12days ago.

My experience with the OCEANIC GEO:
  • batteries last for 12-15 days (I tried several makes including Maxell, Renata, Sony) when the manual says they should last for 300 dive hours (my last Suunto Spyder managed to do that for more than ten years)
  • computer drifts out of order/ back in order as if it´s been reset (even after a fresh battery replacement, don´t even want to think about this happenning during a dive!)
  • I asked my local retailer about sending it back and they´ve have told it could take a A FEW MONTHS to get it back working / get a replacement unit ( dive season starts about now over here!!!!
  • OCEANIC people tells me to send it over to the U.S. (post paid by me) or someway get another product from them ( an overpriced USB cable) and TRY upgrading GEO´s firmware (no guarantee it´ll be the solution)!!!

All in all...:shakehead::no:

VERY DISSAPOINTING!!!! Sorry guys I´m very upset about this...

Same exact problem. Sending mine to Oceanic straight away as per Ron and Mark's suggestion. Great customer service, would greatly recommend them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom