Oceanic GEO depth sensor problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrethediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We recently purchased an updated version of Oceanic GEO computer and decided to test it in a shallow pool before our dive trip. The computer went into dive mode upon descending down to 5 ft (except it was showing 9ft depth) but after a minute or so down, upon ascending back to the surface it failed to exit the dive mode and continued to show 9ft depth and counting the dive time. It finally exited the dive mode about an hour later and this is what it is showing within its dive log and history mode. The software revision on this GEO is r1d - is this the latest for this computer? Is there a problem with the depth sensor on this computer or did it fail like that because we did not go beyond 5ft for longer than 1 minute or so? Was that a valid test? We are running short on time and we don't have much time to exchange it at this point, so I would prefer to keep it for the trip unless it sounds like its definitely defective. Thanks!

So here is the followup. I got that Geo replaced for another one, different serial number but the same software and took it to Roatan. It appeared to function correctly for 2 dives before during dive #3 the computer showed ALT, then OUTR (indicating depth greater than 310ft according to the manual) while at depth of 60ft. When we surfaced, the computer failed to exit the dive mode and continued to indicate depth of 25ft. About an hour or so later the alarms went off as it entered the DECO. It continued to stay in 'dive' mode for another few hours intermittently setting of the alarms. Eventually it just went into 'lockdown' mode and stayed there for the next few days.

Obviously, we stopped using it and had to share another computer we had with us for the remaining 20 dives. Intermittently, when switched into NORM mode, Geo shows ALT followed by EL2 or EL3 - something related to altitude other than SEA, that is at sea level. Obviously there is a problem with either the depth sensor as described on early Atoms or this firmware version r1D. Production date of this unit is April 2009. Perhaps any input from Oceanic? Thanks.

I believe they have a recent firmware that addresses that EL2 problem at sea level but the rest sounds like more than a firmware problem. Have you called Oceanic at their toll free number? When I have done so I have gotten a human on the phone. Unfortunately, I don't see where there is anything to do but send it back for another replacement.

Doug Krause may answer here shortly and provide better information.

We don't dive locally, which means it will be some time before I can check whether or not another replacement unit works. The second Geo did not exhibit any abnormal function until our 3rd dive (although now that I think back the depth meter was off by a few feet as compared to our other computer). If there is a batch of 2009 Geos with malfunctioning depth/barometric pressure sensors (which happened before with Oceanic Atoms) I would rather go with more expensive but a more reliable computer model and get less headache in the end.

Last edited:
This is one of the reasons I dive with a backup computer, especially when I travel.

I can appreciate your frustration. Unfortunately, a "more reliable" computer is a tough call. You can find plenty of threads on problems with virtually any brand computer. Any of them can have problems.

I have a GEO that has that EL2 issue and I will probably send it back for a firmware update, but otherwise it has worked fine. Why don't you call Oceanic's toll free number or send a PM to Doug Krause and see what they say?

I also travel to dive and have the same issue that I can't really test gear in advance of a dive trip, so I understand how you feel. I would think Oceanic or even your local shop should be able to pressure test a computer for you, though, and make sure it is working correctly.

I will contact Oceanic with respect to this issue - I was just trying to see if anyone else got this 'upgraded' 2009 version of Geo with the same issue. I would understand the EL issue - early Atoms 2.0 had that glitch which was apparently resolved in later firmware versions. However this is second Geo in the row produced in April 2009 that won't sense the depth correctly...I'll attempt to download and post dive profile data in this thread.

With respect to reliability, Suunto, Mares and VT3 seem to have a better track record. Unfortunately both former use extremely conservative RBGM altogirthm...

For those interested, this is one of the Geo profiles (notice how we pass 300 ft on the 2nd second of the dive):
geoprofile.JPG

You really should not dive that deep on air, and you should consider slower ascents and a stop or two on the way up! No wonder the computer crapped out; it figured you were dead. At least the water was warm.

Actually, I was thinking about this and wonder if the computer might have leaked a bit. Some water getting in could cause some erratic behavior. Let us know what happens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom