Oceanic equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grace

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking to purchase a BCD and Reg and was looking at Oceanic equipment as my LDS has a promotion on them.
Reg: Alpha7 second stage + SP4 first stage.
BCD: OceanPro
Anyone has positive or negative comments on the above equipment? So far, I've only managed to find positive reviews on the Alpha7/SP4 regulator and don't know if all's that true since none of my friends are using Oceanic gear.
Thanks!

Oceanic isn't bad gear but far from the best in dive gear. If you are going to do recreational diving you should be fine. My LDS was upset with me when bought my latest BC and it wasn't a Oceanic nor from them, I wanted better. That just my opinion.

It's hard to advise you on gear choices without knowing where you are and what type of diving you will do, ex: fresh or salt water, colder that 50 deg. F, how deep? What are the promotional prices being offered? What other brands of gear does your LDS sell?

In general, Oceanic equipment is well made and will suffice for recreational diving. With regs in particular, Oceanic allows for a considerable amount of mixing and matching between their first and second stages. The SP4 first stage is a piston model and won't include an enviromental seal as standard. These are also the least expensive first stages offered. The Alpha 7's are also at the low end for them, meaning your LDS is offering you the most basic entry level reg set made by Oceanic. While these may suit your needs, there are options and more feature rich models to upgrade to. If you want an enviromentally sealed diaphragm first stage, they are available from Oceanic as well. Do a search for pistons and diaphragms if you want more info or opinions on that feature. IMO, when you start looking at the higher end Oceanic regs you are getting into a price range that offers choices I'd rather own. One nice thing, Oceanics are available mail order with a warranty which means you can shop for a competitive price if you do buy from them.

yknot:
One nice thing, Oceanics are available mail order with a warranty which means you can shop for a competitive price if you do buy from them.

???

rjchandler:

Some brands, Oceanics among them, do not have to be sold face to face, over the counter, in order to receive a factory warranty. The products would still have to be purchased thru an authorized dealer, such as Divers Direct or ScubaToys. At least I think ScubaToys is an Oceanic dealer. Additionally, they offer to price match. Meaning the new member that originally asked the question could start with a LesiurePro price and buy from ScubaToys with a warranty. I'd say that's a pretty good advantage, compared to ScubaPro or Aqualung.

yknot:
It's hard to advise you on gear choices without knowing where you are and what type of diving you will do, ex: fresh or salt water, colder that 50 deg. F, how deep? What are the promotional prices being offered? What other brands of gear does your LDS sell?

I will be doing salt water diving, warm tropical waters. Recreational diving. Depth range should be around 30-40m maximum. The promotional price offered was about US$450 for the reg (alpha7/sp4) + OceanPro BCD + 2 in 1 max depth gauge + alpha7 octo.

My LDS sells other brands such as ScubaPro, Mares, Dacor etc. Plenty of well known brands. However, I am on a bit of a budget and since this will be my first set of equipment, I didn't know if it would be wise to splurge on it. Was wondering if the Oceanic set they offered would be sufficient for a new diver.

Something that you might also consider is how much you are going to dive. I don't see spending money on top of the line when you are going to do 30'-40' dives three times a year. Actually unless it is cost effective to buy, rent and enjoy.
Now if you are going diving every weekend and sometimes during the week and two or three dives a day. Buy the better gear. I have found it true in my 36 years of life that you get what you pay for, most of the time.

Grace,

I've had the Px2 piston first stage and a Delta 3 second stage for the last 3 years. I've had it down pretty deep around 10 times (more than 40m less than 47m) and it was a great breather. In fact, in the tropical areas I'm diving in (the philippines) I really can't tell the difference between the oceanic and the scuba pro mk 16 / G250 that I just bought.

So, why did I buy the SP then? Well, it's because I wanted a sealed first stage for some of the diving I do plus the fact that I needed a reg for my 13 yo son who just started diving. I have absolutely no hesitation giving him the Px2 / delta 3 combo. As far as these guys saying that oceanics are 'just recreational ' I wouldn't worry too much, it's a quality regulator. BTW, the back up 2nd stage on this reg is the alpha 7, I've breathed it fairly deep (around 35m I think) and again was impressed by it's performance. It is one of the best reviewed regs in it's price range (consistently - and not just by Rodales!)

Good luck and enjoy

I will be doing salt water diving, warm tropical waters. Recreational diving. Depth range should be around 30-40m maximum. The promotional price offered was about US$450 for the reg (alpha7/sp4) + OceanPro BCD + 2 in 1 max depth gauge + alpha7 octo.

My LDS sells other brands such as ScubaPro, Mares, Dacor etc. Plenty of well known brands. However, I am on a bit of a budget and since this will be my first set of equipment, I didn't know if it would be wise to splurge on it. Was wondering if the Oceanic set they offered would be sufficient for a new diver.

If your LDS is offering the complete package for $450 (reg, BC, octo and gauges) then you are being given a very good price. The gear you have been offered will be just fine for the diving you are planning. Make sure to carefully and completely clean your regulator when you are done with a day's diving. The SP4 is an unsealed reg and will allow salt and other contaminants into parts of your first and second stages. BTW, your post doesn't mention a SPG. Is that part of a 2 in 1 max depth gauge? Actually, that sounds like a depth gauge with a temp. gauge.

As far as any of the other brands, all of the gear I've seen or used from the major gear manufacturers has been adequate for rec limits and enviroments. I would avoid Dacor (locally, for me anyway) simply because they are difficult to get serviced as they have become a marginal brand. You could easily spec out a package costing 3 or 4 times what you are spending that would be more feature rich than what you are looking at and wouldn't ultimately do anything more than the low end Oceanic stuff.

yknot:
If your LDS is offering the complete package for $450 (reg, BC, octo and gauges) then you are being given a very good price. The gear you have been offered will be just fine for the diving you are planning. Make sure to carefully and completely clean your regulator when you are done with a day's diving. The SP4 is an unsealed reg and will allow salt and other contaminants into parts of your first and second stages. BTW, your post doesn't mention a SPG. Is that part of a 2 in 1 max depth gauge? Actually, that sounds like a depth gauge with a temp. gauge.

The 2 in 1 gauge is a pressure + depth (max/min) gauge. I think it's called MaxDepth Combo OceanGlo.

Back
Top Bottom