Oceanic Datamask Inoperative

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any other words on the corroding screws on the DataMask? or other quality issues?

Got back from a 22-dive trip in Belize with my new DataMask - - best investment I ever made! I love having all the info right there in front of me - - nice big Numerals, very easy to see even in bright sunlight conditions. I think I would really miss not having the info there if I dive with another mask now that I have tried this concept.

Everything worked flawlessly with the mask and the dive computer - - when we dove the Great Blue Hole we were limited by recreational depth limits and as I approached my depth limit I had to signal to my wife to grab her "console depth gauge" and look at it so she didn't bust her limit - I, on the other hand, simply had to glance at the numbers that were right there in front of me :D

I have read the previous reviews with some small issues with the Datamask on the board - as far as the corrosion on the screws goes - it was a completely a minor issue - - you must fresh water rinse your equipment, as with all other gear - I did notice a small build-up of either salt or corrosion, but after rinse and wipe it was gone. When I returned home I did give the mask a rinse, as per manual instructions, in a bath of 50/50 water and white vinegar. The screw heads look brand new - any and all deposits taken care of with this rinse and the vinegar.

Obviously I had no flooding issues, as I mentioned everything went well on the trip with depths to 140 sw. Also someone did mention on past posts some trouble with the computer download. My wife brought her laptop to work with pictures so I downloaded my dive data to her laptop - - I think this maybe the only little frustrating issue with the mask - - I got the downloads (did maybe five) to work just fine, but sometimes it took two or three tries to get the connection on the mask side to work - - I think one issue maybe a little water drop may still be in the recepticle on the mask and that keeps the connection from being made properly (water possibly shorting the three posts) - when I gave the mask more time to dry out the connection seemed a lot easier. As far as technique goes I would suggest looking through the lens from the outside of the mask to see the connection - that was a lot eaiser than trying to look from the inside of the mask - just hold the mask so you are looking through the glass from the front of the mask as this gives you a much better view of the connector/connection so you know you are hitting the right spot. When the mask was really good and dry I made the data connection first try - - a couple times when I think there may have still been some moisture in the little recepticle it sometimes took say two or three tries of disconnecting mask and reconnecting before it went into data download mode. Also I have set the data capture for 15 seconds wich gives more than enough detail to your downloads and the manual said I should get 25-30 hours of data in the mask storage. I ended up with around 23 hours and downloaded all the data in my desktop when I got home without any data loss due to capacity, so I would say that the manual is pretty accurate on that score.

Doing night dives was a pure joy as you can easily dim down the LED to a very comfortable level on night dives - and of course no fiddling around trying to read a gauge with a light or a backlight button as before. Just a quick glance with the eyes!

We dove nitrox on most of the dives and I found setting the f02 extremely easy, and confirming the setting easy as well. Given the fact that the designers stayed with just two user accessed buttons on the mask I think they really thought the functions out very well!!! I could not think of anything I would change in the button/data field arrangement. Well done Oceanic!

Overall I give the Datamask a 98% rating with it losing just 2% on the data cable connection recepticle arrangment in the mask. Several of the other divers on the boat were very interested in what I thought after using the mask over the course of the trip - - my answer to them was this: "Well let me put it to you this way - - after diving with this Datamask, if I were to lose, break, or have the thing stolen - I would imediately go out and buy another one - - if I had any money in my bank account, that is!" :wink:

Oh - one quick addition to the report above. I am using a ScubaPro first stage and I had a choice of mounting the transmitter on so it was sticking out to the right or left, so what I did initially was mount the transmitter so that it was sticking out to my right when the tank is on my back. I did this because the computer on the mask is also on my right side and I figured this would be a more direct shot for the signal. The one thing I didn't like with this arrangement was that the transmitter and main tank valve were both on the same side and somewhat close to each other. Well after maybe five or six dives I felt that I was having more brief intermittent pressure readings than I should, so I moved the transmitter over to the left side of my first stage, this seemed like it would have resulted in more transmission losses than the other way, but I found just the opposite - I had far fewer transmission losses with the transmitter on the left side (opposite side of mask computer) - - I think some of my brief trasmission losses are due to head postition when you are looking to one side or another, or with your head looking down toward your feet. All-in-all I got a lot better reception with the transmitter on the left side - - I am not really sure why that worked out this way, but maybe the guys from Oceanic can chime in here and shed some light on that. The manual has a diagram of the radiation area for the transmitter and either way you put it on (left or right) you should be in the trasnmission zone, but for some reason with my set up it worked the best with the transmitter on the left and this also fixed my problem of having both the tank valve and transmitter on the same side where they might be confused for each other in a free-flow emergency or some other situation where you want to be able to access the tank valve without looking. I also was wearing my Atom 2 on all the dives - - I put that on my right wrist because I am left-handed, so having it on the right it gets beat up less - the Atom didn't care if transmitter was on either side - it did not lose the transmission like the Datamask did when I had the transmitter on the right.

When I looked at my data downloads there is a colum listed as "link status" - - I could easily verify what I found on my dives - that the link status was listed as "linked" much more when I had the transmitter on the left as oppossed to "lost". I would say that after an hour dive with data capture set at every 15 seconds - I had the "lost" result maybe two or three percent of the dive time when transmitter was on the left side. With it on the right side I had the "lost" result more like 15 to 20 percent of the time. I am sure this arrangement might vary with each individual's gear set-up, but if you think you are seeing "lost" to much try the other side - that worked well for me.

That's great to hear! I've used my DataMask once so far last week in Grand Cayman and I have to say the experience was great! Had both the DataMask and my D9 for the 2 dives. No interference issues. Everything worked great. I did find the DataMask very easy to see and use. I've had my D9 for several years and am very comfortable using it. I found it amazing that I naturally used the DataMask 90% of my dive time as opposed to the D9. It was just real easy glancing down to get current information.

I was super pumped to dive the next day when our cruise ship pulled into Cozumel. I did notice the corrosion on the screws. Not a big deal as there does seem to be an answer (clean with 50/50 vin/h2o). The bigger issue was when I pushed the button, nothing popped up on the display...it was dead. CRAP...oh well, The DataMask would just be a MASK for my day in Cozumel and my trusty D9 serve as my primary as is has for several years now.

Even though the DataMask died after a day, I was VERY impressed with its performance. I feel very confident that my LDS and Oceanic will replace the unit and get me back on the road to HUD diving.

That's great to hear! I've used my DataMask once so far last week in Grand Cayman and I have to say the experience was great! Had both the DataMask and my D9 for the 2 dives. No interference issues. Everything worked great. I did find the DataMask very easy to see and use. I've had my D9 for several years and am very comfortable using it. I found it amazing that I naturally used the DataMask 90% of my dive time as opposed to the D9. It was just real easy glancing down to get current information.

I was super pumped to dive the next day when our cruise ship pulled into Cozumel. I did notice the corrosion on the screws. Not a big deal as there does seem to be an answer (clean with 50/50 vin/h2o). The bigger issue was when I pushed the button, nothing popped up on the display...it was dead. CRAP...oh well, The DataMask would just be a MASK for my day in Cozumel and my trusty D9 serve as my primary as is has for several years now.

Even though the DataMask died after a day, I was VERY impressed with its performance. I feel very confident that my LDS and Oceanic will replace the unit and get me back on the road to HUD diving.

Hummm - - interesting to hear your issue with it dying on you - - I had absolutely no problems with that kind of thing - - I have "Wet Activation" set to ON - but as we were diving Nitrox on every dive except deep dive in Blue Hole - I would push the 'A' button on the surface to put mask in surface mode and then adjust for whatever Nitrox mix we had on that day - it changed on almost every dive as the boat was using a membrane system and there was a one or two percent difference on the mix for almost every dive - at any rate I had the mask on - in the surface mode before I jumped into the water. Therefore I don't think I ever really utilized the wet activation function, but it did perform normally at all times. Sorry to hear you had a difficulty - wonder if the battery was dead or something along those lines? I have had my mask since the begining of October and have dove with it in the pool several times before going on trip in December - and of course being as it is a new toy - I would turn it on several times a week in my home office just to look at features and settings - it always turned on with just a brief push of the 'A' button :14:

Did I tell you guys about the diver of ours who held his Datamask over the side to rinse out defog while the boat was travelling at speed? I'm sure you can imagine what happened.

I take lots of stills & video and I have yet to find a need for depth and pressure information displayed for instant access. I know if my depth is changing because (1) I have a visual reference to what I'm photographing, and (2) my ears tell me. So needing to glance at my computer/depth gauge occasionally is hardly an imposition. And I certainly don't need real-time access to my contents gauge - a glance at my pressure gauge every 5 or 10 minutes is sufficient. Given the amount of information I am processing from my camera I'd find a heads-up display very distracting. Anyone who needs a Datamask to photograph safely shouldn't be photographing at all. What's next? - a rear proximity warning device to tell you if you're about to hit something behind you?

Overall I have to say that the Datamask seems to me an excellent example of a solution in search of a problem. A mighty expensive solution. I can think of much more useful devices a gadget freak might carry, such as a side-scan sonar.

In any case it wouldn't be any use for me and lots of other people who don't see well out of their right eyes, unless there's a left-eyed version.

I would agree Peter...but frankly I would probably say the same for a significant amount of the features for dive gear that has been created over the recent years.

There's a difference in new features of a product and inventions that solve some type of diving problem. AND people actually drinking the koolaid from the Marketing department from manufacturers (no offense to the marketers out there, you're just doing your job).

If you really think about it, there are very few essentials (solutions to a problem as you put it) in diving gear. Mask, tank, reg, fins, exposure protection, weight, SPG, depth gauge. The rest make diving either safer, easier, more convenient, or are just cool things to have.

For those of us that have been doing this for 25+ years were still able to dive pretty darn well back then. Even some major items that most would think as standard...BCDs as an example: Accurate weighting, excellent physical conditioning, and great lung control allowed for good buoyancy control. Accurate directional control allowing you end your dive back at the boat minimized the need for floating on the surface. And even the low pressure inflator vs. the oral inflator. Don't get me started there. LOL. BCDs made all that stuff MUCH easier, but diving still was accomplished way back then. I know I'm being very rudimentary with this but I hope you understand my point.

New features in gear and promises of it allowing you to breath better, swim faster, dive longer, grow stronger, look more handsome are just what they are....new features. Some helpful...some just cool...some both.

As for me, I like the concept of the DataMask. In real practice, I found myself going to it very naturally during my dive. Helpful, yes...but the overall reason we buy this stuff is because its a cool new toy to add to our scuba obsession (For me the DataMask= helpful and cool).

Isn't that why we upgrade to new stuff? Scuba or not? Seriously, do we all really need the flat screen HDTVs? The Satellite radios? The iPods that hold 8000 songs and plays movies on a 2" screen? The uber-Ghz quad-processor laptop? It's fun and cool! We're consumers. That's what we do.

Safe diving and be proud of the toys you have!! Weeee!!!!!! :D:D:D

A valid point of view, but one I don't share. Although I don't subscribe to the "extremism" of GUI I do think that choice and configuration of equipment has a significant effect upon safety. A mask that's heavy & bulky and displays largely redundant information complicates diving and tends to reduce safety. Most of the people I've come across who've died in (for example) the Blue Hole in Dahab, Egypt were carrying too much useless gear, not enough really vital gear, and clearly didn't have the training or experience to use it all safely. I don't believe in minimalist diving either (there's a name for that but I've forgotten it) but I don't like taking down gear that has no valid & necessary function. It's distracting and ultimately if it doesn't contribute to safety it probably detracts from it.

At my dive center here in Belize I see some people who have lots of cute toys, Datamask included. I've never found those people to be the best divers.

This is of course just MHO, and is only based on my observations. I'm sure there are lots of gadget freaks out there who are really outstanding divers - I just haven't come across them (either here or in UK diving).

What about my specific question - is there a left-eyed version of the Datamask?

[Mod. I'm not sure if this should be continued in this discussion area or moved somewhere else. Your call...]

Once again Peter, I do agree to a certain point. The point of useless gear making a dive less safe is definitely not a good thing. Or the over-geared diver (doubles, 50/50 bottle, argon, light cannon, full face mask comm unit with no one to talk to, etc, etc) and the dive plan is a 40' dive at 45 minutes. I’ve actually seen this!

My main point is really 'not' about minimizing the gear that one wears. It's about divers thinking that just by purchasing some piece of gear it will somehow make them a better diver. Focusing on training, gaining experience from other more experienced divers, setting up and practicing safety and self-rescue scenarios become secondary thoughts.

"That new piece of gear is gonna compensate for my inability to find neutral buoyancy..." instead of actually practicing, taking a class, or learning buoyancy techniques from an experienced friend.

IMHO, the most important and valuable piece of equipment that a diver has is themselves. A diver needs to invest most of their time, effort, energy, and finances in building up their ability to dive better irrespective of what equipment they are wearing.

If they are properly trained and/or gained the right amount of experience to truly dive safely, the equipment component becomes secondary. Whether the mask is heavier on their face; or the BCD is jacket instead back inflate; or their fins are split instead of blade; or their reg is piston instead of diaphragm...I think you get my point. It's like saying that a person can 'only' dive with their own dive gear and can never rent while traveling because it creates a safety issue simply because the gear is not what one normally wears.

Again, I'm not saying that good gear doesn't help. It is very important. But the number one priority should be the diver focusing on their ability to dive 'first'.

I think we’re saying the same thing, just in a different way.

Oh, I've got no idea if there is a left-eye version. I'll leave that answer for the Oceanic people.

Back
Top Bottom