Oceanic computers discontinued?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Geo 2, and many people have great things to say about it. I am hopeful the new ownership realizes that the brand has loyalty and they continue to support it.

I will be sad if they stop making Oceanic computers… I’ve been very happy with them!

Me too. :(

Tangential to the issue is that I was sold an Oceanic mask at a deep discount. Maybe my dive shop senses something? I love the Geo 2.0.

I don't think there is an accurate way to know what Oceanic is doing with any particular computer or their computers in general. Liquivision was supposedly in the testing phase for a new computer even after Huish bought them, and Liquivision claimed the computer was still headed to market until the day they announced no more Liquivision computers. Atomic has continued to pretend they are working on a wrist computer despite Huish ownership, but I don't think anyone takes that claim seriously anymore.

I don't think an Oceanic employee would be allowed to tell you if he or she knew what was going to happen. I like the GEO and Atom and I think their consoles were well-liked. If you own one and it is discontinued, it won't matter...they continue to be nice computers, but when they die, then there will be nothing to do but replace them with a used computer or something else.

AL sells the PPS computers now and if you are OK with the PZ+ algo, they should be nice, and I am a fan of the Shearwater products. If I needed a new computer I would buy another Perdix in a heartbeat and if I wanted a smaller computer I would probably buy a Teric, even though I am not a fan of non-user-replaceable batteries.

I also always liked my Oceanic. The manual was horrific but then not so many manuals are easy to read or follow.

I'll be watching this closely as well. I've been dealing with Oceanic/Huish tech support (in another VTX thread), and have dealt with a bad Aeris A300 CS right out of the box a couple years ago. They recently sent me a refurb'd VTX ($250) that also has a problem, can't see the x-mitter.

Waiting on their tech support to see what happens next...

Yes the VTX and the OCL have been discontinued
upload_2018-9-17_15-33-13.png

Back
Top Bottom