Oceanic Atom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

newdiver3

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This past Christmas, my parents really surprised me and got me the Oceanic Atom and the regulator. :D I was so happy I almost cried.
This is my first piece of dive equipment so I am a little nervous about using it. I have read through the book a few times but still a little confused.
I will be going to Roatan with my dad in March and that is the first time I will be using my computer.
To me it seems the way you really get to understand it is to be underwater but that scares me a little. Are there any opinions on the best way to get used to a new computer before you use it??

The Atom is really easy to use. I just set my max depth and time when the boat crew relates the info. Really important info now... Oceanic just did a voluntary recall on the Atom 2, check your version amd make sure it's "r3c". If you have any ?'s PM me and i'll forward the message from Oceanic.

Atom, or Atom 2.0? As eng1ne1 pointed out, there's a recall on the Atom 2.0.

Well, the ideal way to test it if you picked it up from a local dive shop is to see if they can get you in a pool to play with it. Some shops will let you hop in a pool while they do a class to try out new gear you bought from them.

However, a computer isn't that hard to use underwater; it's essentially a smart gauge. I'd focus on making sure you know how the TLBG/N2 and ascent rate graphs work, where your air pressure is displayed, and understand the different alarms the computer can sound and what you need to do for them.

What Fordan said. Get in a pool and practice with it. Also strap it on and play with as many topside (dry) functions as you can. Get used to the buttons and screens. My main dive buddy dives one and it's a nice piece of work.

AL

They are idiot proof :D -- just set the vitals and splash in. BUT if you really feel unsecure about it, as already suggested a quick pool session will be the best solution to overcome your worries and to get used to the display, buttons and screens on the unit.

Either way, enjoy and may your bubbles rise :)

thanks guys! i would love to try it out in a pool but I'm at college and the next time I'll be home is when I leave for my trip. thanks for the suggestions!

Spend some time playing around with the device with the manual as reference. Not that difficult.

Enjoy!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom