Oceanic Alpha 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gldnrm01

Registered
Reaction score
Would You consider this a dependable and safe reg. We dive from 30 - 80 ft., generally and are planning on getting nitrox certified. We dive about 15 times a year and are not interested in going much past 100 ft.

From my own experiences, it depends what first stage it is paired with—I was not impressed with the CDX (compact balanced diaphragm)/Alpha 7 combo that I borrowed (on 3 dives) in December last year. During those dives, the Alpha 7 second stage breathed “funny”/I felt it was stuttering and sometimes giving me too much air. Of course this may be maintenance/service/adjustment problem and not a reflection of Alpha 7s in general. My cousin (the owner of the reg) have had some issues with the CDX and it turned out that his CDX was part of a batch that was recalled (and supposedly fixed) a few years back.

I gave the Alpha 7 another try in February—this time paired with a DX4. It performed ok, no complaints, but IMHO is no match for my ATX200 in term of comfort, performance and size.

Another thing I will say is that the purge cover (especially the yellow octopus) on the Alpha 7 is very prone to becoming brittle and splitting/breaking. My cousin has gone through a few and I had to replace one even though I only used the Alpha 7 second stage on three dives and had hardly touched the purge (except during the pre dive checks).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom