Ocean State Scuba shutting down as of 11/23/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bad news. I am sure most of you were already expecting this, but Ocean State Scuba is closing it's doors due to the owner's recent arrest.

Good luck to Matt and the others from the OSS staff wherever they go from here.

Same here Chris. That store taught me all I know about my secret spots in Jamestown so to say. I wish all the employess and the family employees who gave me tours of Jamestowns best dive sites well. The store was an integral part of the diving experience in Jamestown.

Yesterday about a dozen of us helped cleanout Dave's shop. Matt is working out the sale of inventory to help with the legal costs that Dave will be incurring. In addition we are talking about conducting some kind of a fundraiser after the Christmas Holiday.
There are going to be many trying and expensive days ahead for Dave and his family.
If any of you who have benefited from Dave's advise, tips or the just plain atmosphere of OSS want to help, then talk to Matt about gear purchases and keep your eyes and ears open for when we post details about a fundraiser.

Is it actually going up for sale? If so, yes you guys should buy it. Someone should buy it. It will be a great loss if that shop goes away. If anyone knows any real details regarding the sale of the shop please let me know.

Chris, Ed... you guys up for a night dive this week? Maybe Wednesday? I'm losing my mind and need to get back in the water ASAP :)

Is it actually going up for sale? If so, yes you guys should buy it. Someone should buy it. It will be a great loss if that shop goes away. If anyone knows any real details regarding the sale of the shop please let me know.

Chris, Ed... you guys up for a night dive this week? Maybe Wednesday? I'm losing my mind and need to get back in the water ASAP :)

Sorry if I miscommunicated the message. It is already gone. There is no shop to sell. The inventory and rental equipment has been moved off the property and is being stored in another location. It is this equipment that is for sale, not the shop. I won't go into details, but the actual property where OSS was, is tied up and will be for quite some time. Matt(who worked at OSS) is handling the listing of sale items.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I never billed him for some dives I guided last year -seems like that's moot now. I'd thought about using it as credit on another steel 80.

Honestly, though - I'd rather he keep the money for legal costs. God knows he's going to need it and he's been pretty good to me over the years - one incident in particular (a dive injury to my foot). I wish I could give more.

I wish Dave, his staff, family and friends all the best....I'll be thinking about him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom