Ocean Reef Neptune Space FFM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Got a chance to try the new Ocean Reef FFM in the pool tonight. Here are my impressions.

- For people who are familiar with the older "Neptune II", this version of the mask is a vast improvement. The volume is smaller and the regulator is set much deeper into the mask so breathing is easier in every position and it's possible to tune it to breathe comfortably without free flowing.

- Key to this is the resistance adjustment on the exhaust valve which allows you to control the level of pressure inside the mask a little better than the old version. I think the old version had that too but it was so prone to free-flowing that it didn't make much difference. The new regulator also has better cracking and venturi adjustments which make tuning on the fly much easier than the older version. One small criticism of the cracking adjustment was that turning was a little stiff. The mask was straight out of the box, though, so maybe after a few dives it will loosen up .

- Nevertheless, it took about 40 minutes to get it tuned for in the pool. The manufacturer says that the mask works *worst* in shallow water so we'll be taking them out for a deep dive in a couple of weeks to see if there are huge differences.

- There is also a quick release for an LP hose now so you can do gas switches. Very handy and I don't remember that on the old version.

- The field of view is also better than the old version and certainly better than a lot of masks on the market. Visibility is probably the best selling point of this mask. It's really good. Peripheral vision isn't great because they made the front of the mask flat but in my opinion it's one of the clearest masks I can remember wearing.

- The surface air valve is much better than the old one. This one is actually useful and it works. If you happen to leave it open it causes a freeflow which reminds you that it's open. The old one, when left open, would just flood the mask.

- New circulation inside the mask keeps it fog free.

- Nice "Star Wars" styling. If you're into that kind of thing, this one really looks cool.

We didn't try the communication module tonight. As far as I know, the coms module hasn't been improved since the last version. Talking loudly close to your buddy's ear comes across clearer than the coms module anyway so in my mind it's a useless feature.

In summary. The "Neptune Space" in stark contrast to the Neptune II is actually pretty good. Whereas I thought the Neptune II wasn't fit for purpose, this mask is. The free flow problems aren't totally solved yet and the work-of-breathing is still too high for my liking but it's a tremendous improvement over the old version and the worst of the design mistakes have been successfully addressed.

If the next version of their mask is big a step forward as this one was then version 3 will be the one to buy. I personally think they still need to improve the WOB and there's still too much gas going overboard on it's own initiative. In any event, I would recommend trying it if you get a chance.

R..

Diver0001,

Please don't take any of this as an insult, I think you gave the mask a fair shake and this was a good report. But, as you stated, you're only comparing it to the older version of the Neptune. Have you dived any other full face masks on the market?

A few observations from when I dived the Space a few months ago.

Fog free, not in cold water. It took about three minutes for the lens to cool where it condensed on me. The ventilation on the mask was not sufficient to keep the lens clear. I had one little spot just below my right eye that I could use to see my gauges. The water temp was 53F.

The surface breathing vent's WOB was pretty nasty when you compare it to other products on the market. Using it caused the mask to fog. Air temp was in the 60's.

Still free flowed when in a face down position. There should be no need or requirement to have to constantly adjust a mask upon changing attitude in the water column. This is just poor design. Upon adjusting the exhaust valve on the bottom of the mask, which was difficult with 5mm gloves, the mask stood off my face. Obviously, I didn't get it to the right position.

The equalizing assembly used on this mask, well, maybe it's just me, never could get it to function well and I have what I consider an average face.

Cracking pressure on the reg, better than it used to be and they eliminated the third adjustment on the front of the reg. Never did figure out what that did. Still, with the lower profile of the mask, there is a notable hydrostatic issue with the position of the regulator in front of the mask The side profile is not as bad as it use to be, it still isn't good.

Using this type of QD for gas switching. Blind switching on the side of the mask? Wow. That's risky. I think it's a matter of time before we hear of this not working well for someone. I don't like QD's on a primary gas system any way. Too much opportunity for failure. I doubt that they intend it for this use anyway. It should be primarily for convenience of separating the mask from the regulator for storage. And I'd like to see the flow data on this QD, can't imagine that there's not a restriction. I could be wrong though.

The overall construction of the mask still has the cheap plastic feel that the older version had.

As to the field of view in FFMDiver's post, it would be nice to see an explanation of how they did that. Also is part of the field of view of the Space light coming through the curved portion of the lens? If that's the case, it's useless. That area is nothing but distortion in water. A comparison of the flat surfaces of the lens would be more accurate.

Prettier, yeah, it's prettier, but this is life support, not fashion.

Mr. Croft, your opinion please?

mntdiver:
Diver0001,

Please don't take any of this as an insult, I think you gave the mask a fair shake and this was a good report. But, as you stated, you're only comparing it to the older version of the Neptune. Have you dived any other full face masks on the market?

The only other FFM I have experience with is the old Neptune. That's the reason for the focus in my report. I hope that someone with experience with another FFM will compare it to that one too.

R..

mntdiver:
I would like to address a couple of these points:

The surface breathing vent's WOB was pretty nasty when you compare it to other products on the market. Using it caused the mask to fog. Air temp was in the 60's.

I can't address the temperature issue but I did also notice that the mask fogged up with the surface vent open. Upon closing it, the condensation was gone in minute or so. I was inside and the water was 28C.

Still free flowed when in a face down position. There should be no need or requirement to have to constantly adjust a mask upon changing attitude in the water column.

I agree, this shouldn't happen. However, within an hour I had it tuned to acceptable levels. It was still flowing a bit if I hung right upside down but in any other position it was working for me. I suspect that this is partly a question of design but also partly a question of experience with the mask.

The equalizing assembly used on this mask, well, maybe it's just me, never could get it to function well and I have what I consider an average face.

One of the divers in our group had that too. There are two degrees of motion on the plugs. left/right and in/out. Once you notice in/out it all falls into place.

Cracking pressure on the reg, better than it used to be and they eliminated the third adjustment on the front of the reg. Never did figure out what that did.
Neither did I. The old version was so bad that I never dove it outside the pool. I'll be taking this one down to 36 metres to get an idea how it works at depth.

Having said that, I think the WOB is so high that divers who don't have their breathing sorted shouldn't get in line to buy this product.

Still, with the lower profile of the mask, there is a notable hydrostatic issue with the position of the regulator in front of the mask The side profile is not as bad as it use to be, it still isn't good.
Agreed. i don't think they're "there" yet either. The improvements are great but given the choice I'm not giving up my traditional config yet.

Using this type of QD for gas switching. Blind switching on the side of the mask? Wow. That's risky. I think it's a matter of time before we hear of this not working well for someone.

I appreciate your criticism of this idea. There is most definitely a risk to be addressed (perhaps with training) but I think the people most likely to use this feature are not the ones most likely to have a problem with it.

I don't like QD's on a primary gas system any way. Too much opportunity for failure.
Hmmm..... You'll have to convince me of this. I've been using QD's on my drysuit and my inflator for 22 years and I still have no reason to expect that this is a problem.

I doubt that they intend it for this use anyway. It should be primarily for convenience of separating the mask from the regulator for storage.

probably.

And I'd like to see the flow data on this QD, can't imagine that there's not a restriction. I could be wrong though.

Don't know.

The overall construction of the mask still has the cheap plastic feel that the older version had.

I had the feeling that they had finally made a serious bit of diving gear. The old mask really came across to me as a toy. This version, although not perfect, convinced me that they're serious about making something fit-for-purpose.

As to the field of view in FFMDiver's post, it would be nice to see an explanation of how they did that. Also is part of the field of view of the Space light coming through the curved portion of the lens? If that's the case, it's useless. That area is nothing but distortion in water. A comparison of the flat surfaces of the lens would be more accurate.

Agreed. I don't know much about other products but i don't suspect that they're comparing apples to apples.

Prettier, yeah, it's prettier, but this is life support, not fashion.

I'll be the last person to disagree with you about this, but there are 60,000 people on scubaboard and some of them bought HUBs......

R..

Hey guys! I'm about to purchase a FFM and was going to get the Neptune Space, but I'm thinking it twice after reading several posts about the flaws on the neptune masks. I've been also looking at Apeks and Poseidon masks which are more expensive, but would like to know what you guys would recommend. The main reason for me to get into FFM's is for underwater comm. I like the idea of being able to talk with my wife when we are diving.

Many thanks for your advice

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom