Ocala FL freshwater recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maudiver216

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,
Any recommendations for a freshwater dive site anywhere near Ocala? Preferably not a cave site.
Thanks!

No one seems to talk about it but Lake George/Silver Glenn Springs is just to the East.. I don't care much for fresh water but there are some youtube videos of people diving there. Not sure if it is exciting, but if you just want to get wet it may be an option if diving is allowed. No personal knowledge.

Toss in Alexander Springs into the list also.

Ponce de Leon Springs west of Ormand Beach?

My son and I were at Blue Grotto last weekend. The visibility for the first 30 feet was about 3-5 feet. The water level is high and there isn't much flow to clear the low viz area. Once you are below the green stuff, you'll need a flashlight but visibility is fine (50+ feet). The good news is we practically had the place to ourselves. However, if you're uncomfortable with low visibility, I'd go elsewhere until the water level drops.

On the other hand, Devil's Den had very nice visibility. The water level is high there as well, but the only negative impact at DD is you don't have the platforms above water level if you need to faff around a bit. If you want to go to DD, either go on a weekday or get there early on a weekend. I think they limit the number of guests and you may end up waiting several hours for entry.

Ponce de Leon Springs west of Ormand Beach?
Ponce is only for instructors with students who pay the $200 and have the instructor card.

Ponce is only for instructors with students who pay the $200 and have the instructor card.
it wasn’t that way back in 1981 o_O

I love Paradise and also think everyone should visit Devil's Den at least a few times. What about the Rainbow River just west of Ocala? You can't scuba dive at the state park head spring area but there's beautiful, shallow drift diving down the run. Bring a dive flag and having/renting a boat is best or having someone drop you off a ways up-stream.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom