OC BACKMOUNT: Use of inverted cylinders with RAID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Billy Northrup

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

Years of sports has taken it's toll on my poor shoulders. Is the use of an inverted stand a problem?

Thanks

Bill

No reason you can't do it. You'd want a cage to protect the valves out of the water. Hose lengths will be a little goofy, but you could check out most CCR hose lengths to get an idea of what you'd need. @Akimbo has a bunch of links talking about it IIRC.

Good morning,

I had posted this in the RAID but it was moved, I put it there because I wanted to know if it was cool with that agency. Having trained up with another agency to find I can't go behind my head and inversion or SM is not an option.

Bill

Like this?

full.jpg

See: Progressive Equalization

No reason you can't do it. You'd want a cage to protect the valves out of the water. Hose lengths will be a little goofy, but you could check out most CCR hose lengths to get an idea of what you'd need. @Akimbo has a bunch of links talking about it IIRC.

Good day,

Yup I have a stand and it's pretty neat. It apart right now but maybe later on I can assemble it and take some pictures. Akimbo inspired me to give it a test, I'm still working it out.

FYI: I took it apart to measure the weight of the part and find/compare the center of gravity.

Bill

Good morning,

I had posted this in the RAID but it was moved, I put it there because I wanted to know if it was cool with that agency. Having trained up with another agency to find I can't go behind my head and inversion or SM is not an option.

Bill
My apologies, I moved it since the OP didn't ask about agency, I assumed it was an incorrectly placed thread.

As a RAID instructor and currently busy with OC Deco50 (the first doubles course) I cannot find anywhere in the standards that stipulates the manifold must be behind the head, if you can find an instructor happy to teach that way then as long as you can meet the required skills there should be no problem.

Is there a particular reason you aren't looking at sidemount? It seems to be the go-to for those with mobility issues with standard BM doubles.

My apologies, I moved it since the OP didn't ask about agency, I assumed it was an incorrectly placed thread.

As a RAID instructor and currently busy with OC Deco50 (the first doubles course) I cannot find anywhere in the standards that stipulates the manifold must be behind the head, if you can find an instructor happy to teach that way then as long as you can meet the required skills there should be no problem.

Is there a particular reason you aren't looking at sidemount? It seems to be the go-to for those with mobility issues with standard BM doubles.

Cool man, yeah I read your post the other day, I've been keeping an eye on RAID stuffs.

Sidemount? I have never done sidemount but I see it as a great fit for me. I dive in the cold and rough Northern California coast and nobody sidemounts that I've seen. So becoming proficient in inverted doubles then shortly moving to Florida and sidemount will most likely be my go to tool at that point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom