Obsessed diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ugh! So many questions to answer! Great advice, thanks. First, I've been diving for a year, he's been diving for several. He likes to solo dive, I'm totally against it. He's a bad buddy because once we are in the water, I spend my time looking for him, which gives me an uneasy feeling. I'm very independent, and I don't need a camera, I need an attentive buddy, but I don't think that makes me "needy." He denies he is a bad buddy (naturally). I think he's probably a good instructor, but not to me.
Hmm.. maybe I should confiscate all his equipment until his behavior improves!!! And yes, I'm done paying for things.
I don't know that I want him to have a subscription to SB!!!!!!

jepuskar:
"First, if he is an instructor, he should be a great buddy"

That is sooo not true Ron. :D

How so UNLESS he is doing classes while they are on trips? What is the likelyhood of THAT!

So Instructors make horrible buddies? None that I've dove with who are NOT doing classes..

catherine96821:
Instructors are the worst buddies, I thought everybody knew that Ron. The reason is they think in terms of being solo, really. At least 90% of the ones I know. I like diving with them myself.

Interesting.. The instructors I know when they dive with you, they are WITH you!

However I do see your point. OTOH, this is the love of her life.. yes? No? Maybe?

Well one can only speculate. I tend to be more attentive to those I dive with whom I feel need attention. In any event, even when I'm shooting, I try and stay reasonably close. IMO if you want to solo, you BETTER have two regs, and independant air.. VERY few people I dive with fit that catagory. The exception maybe shallow reef diving...

It's been my experience that diving with your spouse isn't always going to work very well.

Peter and I have some different ideas about how people should behave underwater, and as a result, although we do dive as buddies when we travel, we rarely dive together at home. We'll go diving at the same place, on the same day, but each of us invites somebody and we dive as separate buddy pairs. It keeps the peace.

Poor Peter is the one trying to figure out what to do with a dive-obsessed spouse, though :)

It occurs to me now that maybe another buddy would be a good idea. Any takers in So. Cal?

TSandM:
Poor Peter is the one trying to figure out what to do with a dive-obsessed spouse, though :)

LOL ... Isn't *that* the truth.

Of course we all know that a dive obsession is only the tip of the obsession iceberg.... :wink:

R..

Peter was smart and got a camera. ...and a horse. TRUE LOVE!!!

Get him a membership on ScubaBoard.. I'm sure someone will 'speak' to him.
Or ..pause.. is he already here someplace

yes, great idea. Send him in and we can have Walter speak with him....and Bob.

what exact attention while diving do you wish? the hand holding, stick to your side type? is he diving a distance away from you but still within eye contact and you dont notice him looking at you every now and then? im not making fun of you/the situation at all just trying to understand.

my experience with instructors are that the are would like to be attentive but they also want their students to be independant enough to be go out and dive without him/her.

ive found with my instructor hubby the prob is he also a photographer so ive learnt to hang out at 15ft reefs playing with the fish as he will spend the entire dive there taking photos and generally its my job to keep an eye out on him, he will look for me occasionally but thats if he remembers. i always consider diviing with a photographer as solo diving now and for this reason i refuse to let him take cameras when diving with the child on his own.

i actually think you should be diving with other people - i think you might relax & enjoy more.

good luck!

As an instructor, I think I'm the opposite "bad buddy" that your hubby is. And maybe that's because I'm a girl... But I find that I "instruct" and "watch over" those close to me even MORE than my students. Needing to be sure they are having a good time.

My boyfriend has to remind me that "you're in instructor mode again".

But, he never has to worry about me not being there!!

Cindy
http://www.girldiver.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom