Observing versus touching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ange2014

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

I just discovered this forum and have a bunch of questions, so please bear with me.

I am a strictly-observe-only kinda diver but my buddy loves to touch/caress gentle-looking sea creatures such as turtles and dolphins despite frequent reminders. Am I being too uptight about this or is there anything else I could do to get him to stop? Thanks in advance.

Ange

That's fantastic, that you and your buddy get close enough to dolphins on a regular basis that touching them is a problem. Where are you diving that the dolphin come right up to you?

I suppose you could discuss your feelings about this issue with your buddy, but if he wants to keep doing it...well, that's between him and the turtles. If it offends you deeply enough, I guess you could go find another dive buddy.

Hi all,

I just discovered this forum and have a bunch of questions, so please bear with me.

I am a strictly-observe-only kinda diver but my buddy loves to touch/caress gentle-looking sea creatures such as turtles and dolphins despite frequent reminders. Am I being too uptight about this or is there anything else I could do to get him to stop? Thanks in advance.

Ange

A person that was on the same trip as me kept doing similar actions. I tried to explain my thoughts on it. He didn't listen. I made it a point to touch, hold, hug, poke, and push him on land as much as possible. He eventually got the point, and I didn't see him harassing the sea life any more.

Like almost everything in diving, I think the only rule that applies in all cases is "it depends". In general I prefer to leave animals alone, because I prefer to photograph them in their natural state ... which requires them to be unstressed. On the other hand, some animals don't mind interaction ... some will even initiate it. I don't have a problem with that. My general rule of thumb is that most animals are shy of humans and prefer to be left alone ... so leave them alone. Some will get stressed out if we get too close ... in which case, we shouldn't do that. Others don't mind our presence, and interacting with them does no harm (if done properly). And some are naturally curious and will initiate contact ... in which case, it's OK to let them do that. Indeed, in some cases you can hardly prevent it short of getting out of the water.

The key is knowing which is which, knowing how to "read" an animal's responses in order to determine whether interaction is a good or bad idea, letting the animal initiate the contact and/or always leaving an "out" for he animal to retreat if it so desires. Keep in mind that these animals interact with each other on a constant basis ... often with fatal results for one or the other. They are not (usually) fragile. Our presence underwater is something new to them. They have to ... and will ... adapt to over time. Your reactions to them will determine the course that adaptation will take.

The one thing I don't much care for is people feeding them ... because it changes their behavior and in many cases they grow dependent on being fed ... which is bad for any wild animal. If you have a need to feed an animal, get a dog and leave the opportunity feeders alone to fend for themselves. Sure it's fun when they come out of their dens looking for handouts ... but it's not good for the critter. Besides that, people sometimes feed them nasty stuff like hot dogs ... which isn't even a good thing to do to another human, much less a wild animal.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Let me add to the "don't touch" comments that in some places there are very stiff fines for touching wildlife. Hawaii may fine you up to $5000 for touching a turtle if you are observed. Not only do I think divers should touch nothing ( including the reef, shell creatures, etc, I also think divers should not chase anything. You won't catch it anyway. And of course, NEVER feed sea creatures, whether sharks or garibaldis or anything else.
DivemasterDennis

There is usually no reason to touch anything underwater, especially the larger sea life like turtles. When I see divers, usually new divers, who can't keep their hands to themselves, I always hope that they will suffer the consequences. Unfortunately, some divemasters promote touching/holding to entertain divers and provide photo ops. I prefer to see natural behavior. I think more places now discourage feeding, but now the practice of spearing and feeding lionfish has led to eels and groupers following divers to get a hand-out.

The other day I saw a conch….Strombus gigas…moving very slowly. Reaching his little foot out and pulling along like they do. I looked at his tracks and he'd been moving in a straight line for about twenty feet. I thought he was headed for this rocky area another 20 feet or so ahead so I picked him up and carried him over there and set him down. Is this bad?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom