Question Observed Covid Testing for return to USA from Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
scubamarli

scubamarli

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know if you can use an observed antigen test to board AA to Miami from Bonaire, or must you go to a local test facility? Given that we need to test on a Sunday, our options are limited, and will mess up the last morning of diving.

Thanks, everyone. Has anyone actually done this coming back from Bonaire specifically? I know it's o.k. with the CDC, but it is actually up to Bonaire's gov't to make the rule.
Up to the airline to let you on, it is a US requirement, you already satisfied Bonaire for entry, they don’t need to know.

Here is a potential catch (from the CDC website): The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. That is why I cannot use my Canadian government issued rapid tests on the way back through the USA. Not trying to be argumentative, just wanting to know if anyone here has actually used an observed antigen test going from Bonaire to the USA.

Thanks, everyone. Has anyone actually done this coming back from Bonaire specifically? I know it's o.k. with the CDC, but it is actually up to Bonaire's gov't to make the rule.
I second what brsnow said. You take the test in the country you're departing from, but the only entity that will look at the result is the airline, and the airline follows whatever the destination country--in this case, the US--may ask the airline to do. The authorities in whatever country you're departing from have no interest in your test results.

edit: I was typing while scubamarli posted that language from the CDC website. Okay, so it's a fair question. I still think it will be fine for return from Bonaire, as it has been for return from many countries. But that doesn't answer the OP's question whether anyone has firsthand experience.

I second what brsnow said. You take the test in the country you're departing from, but the only entity that will look at the result is the airline, and the airline follows whatever the destination country--in this case, the US--may ask the airline to do. The authorities in whatever country you're departing from have no interest in your test results.

edit: I was typing while scubamarli posted that language from the CDC website. Okay, so it's a fair question. I still think it will be fine for return from Bonaire, as it has been for return from many countries. But that doesn't answer the OP's question whether anyone has firsthand experience.
Exactly, airline follows rules of destination country. United and I am sure others also will tell you earliest you can take the test based on your itinerary. This often is more time than you expect because time rules are prior to departure to destination not arrival.
For flight to US once you are on the plane nobody cares anymore.

Up to the airline to let you on, it is a US requirement, you already satisfied Bonaire for entry, they don’t need to know.

Here is a potential catch (from the CDC website): The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. That is why I cannot use my Canadian government issued rapid tests on the way back through the USA. Not trying to be argumentative, just wanting to know if anyone here has actually used an observed antigen test going from Bonaire to the USA.

But Bonaire DOES know the result of ta locally done test, if it is positive, because the testing office tells them so that you can go into isolation....which is a CDC requirement. That is one possible advantage of testing yourself with tele-proctoring...I doubt there is a way for the tele-proctoring proctor to alert the Bonaire Health Dept that you had a positive result. If it was a false positive, presumably you could pull out another test and pay for another proctored session. If it was a true positive, then you don't want to get on the airplane anyway, right?

But Bonaire DOES know the result of ta locally done test, if it is positive, because the testing office tells them so that you can go into isolation....which is a CDC requirement. That is one possible advantage of testing yourself with tele-proctoring...
You quoted me in your reply, but when I said "You take the test in the country you're departing from ..." I was referring specifically to the teleproctored test that is the subject of this thread. Yes, of course if you instead take a test at a Bonaire facility the local authorities will be alerted to any positive results.

Note that the rule is no more than one day...so you could get the test Monday morning, since you are not flying out until the afternoon.
To be clear - and I confirmed this directly with the CDC - the test results are good through 11:59PM the following day. So if you take a test a 8AM on Friday, it's good until 11:59PM Saturday. Likewise, if you take a test at 6PM on Friday, it's also good until 11:59PM Saturday.

Many people think that "no more than one day" has meant 24 hours and the clock starts ticking when you take the test. That's not correct. It's based on a calendar, not a stopwatch. Take the test today, it's good until 11:59PM tomorrow.

To be clear - and I confirmed this directly with the CDC - the test results are good through 11:59PM the following day. So if you take a test a 8AM on Friday, it's good until 11:59PM Saturday. Likewise, if you take a test at 6PM on Friday, it's also good until 11:59PM Saturday.

Many people think that "no more than one day" has meant 24 hours and the clock starts ticking when you take the test. That's not correct. It's based on a calendar, not a stopwatch. Take the test today, it's good until 11:59PM tomorrow.
Also to be clear: you do not need to take the test the "day" before. It can be earlier the same day as the flight. The rule is, as Ken quotes, "no more than one" day...it doe not have to be the day before the flight.

Used the Abbott home test this morning for tomorrow's united flight. Pretty easy. When used in conjunction with the navica app, you go to united app to the travel ready center where you would upload test results. There is an option to link to the navica app. Couple clicks and united has the results and shows you cleared on the return testing requirement.

Back
Top Bottom