Question Observed Covid Testing for return to USA from Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
scubamarli

scubamarli

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know if you can use an observed antigen test to board AA to Miami from Bonaire, or must you go to a local test facility? Given that we need to test on a Sunday, our options are limited, and will mess up the last morning of diving.

Btw what a waste of time. Government in action or inaction
On the other hand . . .

Two people in another group when I was there tested positive and were quarantined. I have an instructor friend right now in Roatan with a group of 28 and two of their people tested positive and are now quarantined.

Do you REALLY want those COVID-positive people on your flight, perhaps sitting behind you and spewing their germs?????? This thing isn't over yet and a big problem is a lot of folks think it is, precautions go out the window, and the disease continues to spread and mutate. We are our own worst enemies.

On the other hand . . .

Two people in another group when I was there tested positive and were quarantined. I have an instructor friend right now in Roatan with a group of 28 and two of their people tested positive and are now quarantined.

Do you REALLY want those COVID-positive people on your flight, perhaps sitting behind you and spewing their germs?????? This thing isn't over yet and a big problem is a lot of folks think it is, precautions go out the window, and the disease continues to spread and mutate. We are our own worst enemies.

No, but it is this kind of thinking that I disagree with. This is no longer a pandemic. We have vaccines. We have effective treatment. I agree that Covid is not going away but neither is the flue, the common cold and a host of other infectious diseases that you are going to be exposed to. Before Covid, you had people on planes with all kinds of illnesses that were contagious. There has always been a risk of catching something while flying and traveling and there always will be. We all are used to wearing a mask and everyone has one. Wear a mask if uncomfortable, adjust how you travel or don't travel. But this testing requirement in my opinion should have been dropped by now.

No, but it is this kind of thinking that I disagree with. This is no longer a pandemic. We have vaccines. We have effective treatment. I agree that Covid is not going away but neither is the flue, the common cold and a host of other infectious diseases that you are going to be exposed to. Before Covid, you had people on planes with all kinds of illnesses that were contagious. There has always been a risk of catching something while flying and traveling and there always will be. We all are used to wearing a mask and everyone has one. Wear a mask if uncomfortable, adjust how you travel or don't travel. But this testing requirement in my opinion should have been dropped by now.
If someone knows they are sick with a contagious disease that is as relatively dangerous as the flu, they should not be traveling and exposing others. The common cold, perhaps less so. But we've all seen that person on the plane with a hacking cough or constantly blowing their nose and wished they had not been on our flight. If I had a severe cold, I wouldn't travel, and for a mild cold I'd wear a mask when traveling. But we shouldn't be cavalier about potentially dangerous diseases like the flu and now Covid. Covid is more contagious than the flu if the infected person is in the phase where they are shedding a lot of virus.

Poor comparisons with the flu and common cold aside, I agree with your premise that the pandemic phase, where we had people being hospitalized in droves, many dying, is over as far as we can tell. And I agree with your conclusion that it is time to drop the testing requirement for return to the US.

If someone knows they are sick with a contagious disease that is as relatively dangerous as the flu, they should not be traveling and exposing others.
Not to get into this again nor beat this into the ground, but we really need to stop equating COVID mortality with flu mortality rates. Even with vaccines - which are GREAT at preventing hospitalization or death - COVID has anywhere from a 4-10X death rate higher than flu. Here's a quick graphic/article about this: U.S. COVID-19 average deaths by day | Statista

Yes, do whatever you think is right for you whether that's throwing caution to the wind or locking yourself in a hermetically-sealed room for the rest of your life. But we really need to stop thing COVID=flu because it's simply not true.

Twice and no issues - Once with AA and another with United
Thank you to SoccerDad. That is just the information that I was looking for. As for the pandemic being over, I think that it's up to the W.H.O. to declare that. With minimal testing in many countries, there were half a million new cases recorded globally on Friday, of which 20% were in the USA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom