Obscure question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tyesai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm in the military, does anyone know if I buy tanks from a company in the US will I be able to get them filled over here in Europe, more specifically Spain.

not 100% on this, but i dont think so. The US tanks are only stamped for US Department of Transportation and for Transport Canada. Europe, i believe, has it's own standards.

Probably not. Unless whatever base you're stationed at has a scuba club and compressor, then they will probably fill them. Although they may have rentals too. (Nor can you get EU tanks hydroed or filled in the USA BTW.)

You'll have to buy tanks locally and sell them when you leave, or just rent.

Years ago I dove off of Palma and Benidorm and I used a cylinder I brought with me on the ship (Navy at that time). I did not have any issues with getting it filled; however, not sure if the rules have changed over the years. I see that you are in Spain so just ask a local dive shop and get the correct answer.

Probably not. Unless whatever base you're stationed at has a scuba club and compressor, then they will probably fill them. Although they may have rentals too. .

LOL, I'm on a Navy base and they throw fit when the kids try to snorkel at the base pool, much less have a dive club.:idk: Who would have known?:confused:

I'm gonna talk to the people at the local sporting goods store and see if they will fill them. Pero mi Espanol es muy mal. I was gonna buy some tanks from them, but I know I won't be able to get them filled when we come home to the States. My other option is to buy them and have them shipped but I'm not %100 I can get US tanks filled here.

The chances are good that I will be able to as Spain isn't as litigious as the States, I was just curious if anyone had any experience with it. Its a long shot but ya never know.

LOL, I'm on a Navy base and they throw fit when the kids try to snorkel at the base pool, much less have a dive club.:idk: Who would have known?:confused:

What the???

Well good luck. You're right you may not have any issues in Spain. But for sure forget about USDOT tank fills in Germany or France.

Shame you don't have a club on base, that would have seemed the best bet. The only way to know is to ask the local place. If that doesn't work out just buy tanks local, sell when you leave, then buy again back in the states. Tanks tend to hold their value much better than other scuba gear so this might not be as bad as you might think. Especially if you can get a decent deal on some used tanks there, you might even resell for pretty much the same price.

But for sure forget about USDOT tank fills in Germany or France.

Not always, it really all boils down to the shop club that you are diving with. When I lived in France my club had no problem filling my DOT cylinder. As was said check with the local shop that you will be getting fills from. That said it might be worth it but local used cylinders and then sell them when you leave. Of all things I bought in while living in France was washing machine. It was cheaper than going to the local laundry and when I left I sold it for what I paid for it. Could probably do the same for a cylinder or two.

Not always, it really all boils down to the shop club that you are diving with. When I lived in France my club had no problem filling my DOT cylinder. As was said check with the local shop that you will be getting fills from. That said it might be worth it but local used cylinders and then sell them when you leave. Of all things I bought in while living in France was washing machine. It was cheaper than going to the local laundry and when I left I sold it for what I paid for it. Could probably do the same for a cylinder or two.

Surprised since they seem pretty uptight about stuff like M26 valves and such since the EU gobbled them up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom