Oahu trip report 11/1-11/7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2ODoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Some notes from our recent trip to Oahu. Part work, part vacation:

HOTEL/LODGING:

1st few days were at Sheraton Waikiki - very nice hotel. Great central location, great view. Crowded, expensive. Want internet in your room (wired)? $15/day. Want to park your car in the Sheraton parking garage? $25/day. Money aside, if you want to be on the beach in Waikiki, it's a super place.

2nd part of trip, we moved out to Kailua to check out that part of the island and escape the madness that is Waikiki. Kailua was nice - suburban feel, not too busy, slower pace, quieter. Had a VRBO rental studio about 4 blocks from the beach. Cheap, clean, central location. Weather was windy, so Lanikai and Kailua beaches were choppy and windy - not the idyllic kayak paddling spot that it is known for.

DIVING:

Did 6 dives with Kaimana Divers / Gabe Scotti / scottitheduck. Gabe is "on it" when it comes to communication, and coordination. Email, text, phone... he was in touch. When I called him about my wife's prescription mask we forgot, he responded within minutes and picked it up at the dock for us. Nice.

We got to see 3 separate parts of the island on our 6 dives, and that's exactly what we were looking for. Nice pre-dive planning and attention during the dives. He also gave us some leeway to do what we wanted and try and max our bottom time. He also spotted a huge frogfish, so that's a nice bonus. Now, if he'd just stop whining about his new forearm ink, that'd be just ducky. :D

Dive sites were:

- YO257 / San Pedro wreck - quite a few turtles
- Kewalo pipe - nice long dive with macro photo ops

- China Wall / Spitting caves wall - turtles again, octopus, nice, varied landscaping
- Koko crater - big turtles

- Mahi wreck - spotted eagle rays, frogfish
- Makaha caverns - turtles, swim-throughs, long dive

Water temps were warm - maybe high 70s? We were comfortable in shorties.

FOOD:

- sushi at Sansei was excellent
- Roy's had some great Opah, etc.
- Rainbow Drive In - great plate lunches - Loco Moco, etc. Gotta go here!
- Teddy's burgers in Kailua - great burgers
- Side Street Inn - huge portions, very good value, too much food. Pork chops, prime rib, fried rice were all excellent.

OTHER:

- stand up paddle boarding was fun. I donated a pair of Native $100 sunglasses to King Neptune, however.
- surfing waikiki - despite my wife showing me up like Kelly Slater, we had fun
- catamaran sail was decent
- hiking Diamond Head was well worth the effort (beat our record round trip time of 42 minutes if you can!)
- we managed to hit only local joints for food, drink, with the exception of one stop at Starbucks. :crafty:

PICTURES:

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg

e2c752d0.jpg

Thanks to all of you on this board that helped with our vacation planning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom