Oahu suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...Can you tell me what shop you did the Manta Ray dive with? I have only seen rays from a distance and very rarely in the Caribbean, so it will be a worthwhile trip for me just to see them, if nothing else!

Oh... It's worth it! See My Youtube Video Here

We used Big Island Divers for the Manta dive but many rave about Jacks Diving Locker as well. I have not done any diving on Ohau yet but it is on my list.

Thanks for the info, Bob. We are "stuck" with Oahu since I will be at a conference there (most expenses paid, I can't complain!). Can you tell me what shop you did the Manta Ray dive with? I have only seen rays from a distance and very rarely in the Caribbean, so it will be a worthwhile trip for me just to see them, if nothing else!

In your original post you asked if there was a dive you shouldn't miss, even if it is on another island. The manta ray night dive is on another island; the island of Hawaii, also known as "the big island".

Sorry, no manta dives here on Oahu.

I first heard about manta dives when I got my open water (May 07) and put it on the top of my "must do before I die (or can no longer dive)" list. I was lucky enough to cross it off in April 08 with Jack's Diving Locker but I quickly moved it right back to the top again! It was an awesome (at least) once in a lifetime experience. The vis of the Kona coast is spectacular (at least when we were there). However, good vis at my local dive spot is only about 10'.

In August 07, I did a deep dive on the Mahi off Oahu and wished I'd been able to stay there much longer than my profile allowed. I know some people don't think it's a great wreck but coming from the shallow midwest quarries (where a "wreck" consists of a van, small boat or city bus) it was nirvana for a novice. Just being able to see the eagle rays "flying" in formation was worth it.

Thanks for the info, Bob. We are "stuck" with Oahu since I will be at a conference there (most expenses paid, I can't complain!). Can you tell me what shop you did the Manta Ray dive with? I have only seen rays from a distance and very rarely in the Caribbean, so it will be a worthwhile trip for me just to see them, if nothing else!

Here is the shop I dove with:

Hawaii Scuba Diving with Bottomtime Hawaii - Go Deep Stay Long - Kona's Premier Dive Shop

I really enjoyed the captain and crew. The boat was set up really good for divers as well. As far as picking the dive op for the Manta Dive, it really doenst make that much of a difference, I dont think. They all go to the same dive location. I bet we had 7 or 8 different shop boats there, but the Mantas dont play favorites. They came to do barrel rolls over all of us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom