Oahu or Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k374

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
which island has better diving? "better" in terms of marine life...
How would you rate Molokini crater?

As a vehement supporter of Oahu diving, I am ashamed to admit that for the vacation diver, Maui has Oahu beat. Oahu has its niches of wild and rare critters, but you have to know where they are and work to get there. Maui has access to Lanai, Molokini, and Molokai as well as some decent shore diving. Molokini is very heavily dived, but still maintains some great biodiversity and plenty to look at. Even above Maui, however, is the Big Island. Kona's easy access to varied and gorgeous sites with some gracious megafauna thrown into the mix is the very best the main eight Hawaiian Islands have to offer IMO.

I've dived Maui, Oahu, and the Big Island as a vacationer, and the entire Florida Gulf as a semi-local. Of all those, I can honestly say that my favorite dives have been on the Big Island with Maui coming in a close second. The manta night dive is a must- although we didn't spot any on our last trip, there was a plethora of marine life from cleaning shrimp and giant puffers, to Moray eels chasing squirrelfish. The Big Island has my vote, but as I said, Maui is great too. I also enjoyed the Sea Tiger and Corsair off Oahu, but our second trip there got nixed due to weather..

Maui has access to Lanai, Molokini, and Molokai as well as some decent shore diving. *quote*
so your saying theres no "good" diving on maui, you use it as a starting place?
each island is totally different and theres really no answer to which is best.
each island is unique and also each side of each island is unique.
personally i like the 300~450 foot ledge off maile, (shark hole wreck)

how would you compare the diving in the Big Island to that in the Bahamas?
~ The Big Island doesn't have shark dives (that I know of), but if I had my choice of the two, I would go back to the big island- I love the lava formations, and there are more opportunities for big fish there, IMHO. However, I did a shark dive when in the Bahamas last September, and it was very cool. I've heard the ledges in the Bahamas are great as well, but never dived one myself.

Is that off of Maui or the Big Island?
The Big Island. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Mantas congregate on the other islands like they do on the Big Island. I've been twice, and the second time didn't see any. However, the first time I went, there were something like 20 (different) mantas at one time. Regardless of where you go, it's an absolutely amazing experience.

Maui has access to Lanai, Molokini, and Molokai as well as some decent shore diving. *quote*
so your saying theres no "good" diving on maui, you use it as a starting place?
each island is totally different and theres really no answer to which is best.
each island is unique and also each side of each island is unique.
personally i like the 300~450 foot ledge off maile, (shark hole wreck)
Sound advice here- I don't think you can get bored with diving any of the islands. I think you would have a great time regardless of where you go- it's HAWAII!!

Divewestoahu-I did include the decent shore diving in that list, but I can go shore diving on Oahu. I've done some decent dives off Maui, but nothing that I can't do off Oahu and the nearby islands always strike me as more spectacular.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom